Please enter your feature suggestion...

Turn-by-turn GPS

Turn-by-Turn GPS applications that include voice commands and driving instructions

4,534 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

190 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Darryl Darryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Turn by turn navigation with compass orientation and ability to disable time-out screens should be defaults features in all windows phones period.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I say 'turn-by-turn' I mean that I can replace my Tom Tom or Garmin with my Windows Phone and not have to tap the screen to get the next instruction. That's ridiculous in 2012. Just because I bought HTC (because the Lumia 920 is not on T-Mobile) I'm not able to get this feature.

Additionally, the lock screen should not time out, and should show us turn-by-turn on the lock screen, with real-time traffic updates, suggested alternate routes, and tell me "in 1.2 miles, turn right on Southside Blvd." Then, "in 500 yards, turn right on Southside Blvd." Not just when I miss a turn, but alerting me before a turn so that I don't miss it in the first place.

• Kevan MannKevan Mann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute MUST. Navigation is a huge deal for me and is the biggest worry I have when switching over from Android to Windows Phone. Google Maps and their Navigation feature are just absolutely perfect. A complete masterpiece. Either Microsoft needs to make a **** good Bing based alternative or they need to get a deal with Google to bring a Google Maps app to WP that is of the same quality as the excellent recently released iOS app.

• Adam StechschulteAdam Stechschulte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the biggest feature I am missing since moving from Android. Just a thought, what about a "Streets & Trips" version for Windows Phone?

• UvedaleRebelUvedaleRebel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My mian issue is that Nokia Drive no longer has real-time traffic updates as it used to do with Symbian. So Nokia Drive parks you at the back of the nearest traffic jam. Commute is helpless and hopeless. Nokia Maps has real-time traffic but no turn by turn directions. This is so stupid someone somewhere must be having a laugh. I subscribe to Orange maps to get traffic updates. Not happy at all.

• Will MenziesWill Menzies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@magicalclick In the settings for Nokia Drive you can set it to tell you how far away the next turn is. There's also an icon that displays what kind of turn it is.

• PhilipPhilip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was blown away that my 8X was MISSING two of my important features: directions in maps and radio.

Maps provide directions, that's how they work in 2012. But NOOOOPE, not WP8 maps!! I was given a prompt to find an app to do it in the store... the automatic query returned ZERO results.

Its supposed to "just work!" I find it mind boggling that they REMOVED valuable features from WP8.

• jj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crazing. Maps missing this and no fm radio what are they dolts thining. Lets keep removing things. FAIL!

• magicalclickmagicalclick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cb, I have Lumia 920 and Nokia Drive is pale in comparison with Mango map. Nokia Drive is for people who likes to drive blindly. I need to know how far away I am from my next turn, but, it didn't zoom out, so, I cannot even see how far/close I need to turn until it bugs me with voice direction. I really dislike that because I want to prepare for the turn by getting into the lane early. While it is true turn-by-turn navigation, it still no as good as Mango map. So, you are not missing out too much. In fact, Lumia 920 hides OS Map, which also cripples the map more than HTC model.

• magicalclickmagicalclick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just like Bob said, this is unacceptable!!!!!!

Mango had pretty good turn-by-turn navigation, even though it didn't bug me constantly.

I liked how it was able to give me a list of actions, auto zoom in/out view to show me how far I am away from the next action, the voice will play when I press the screen which is quite easy, and it has traffic aware direction.

Now, it is useless direction list that turns off by itself and didn't update its map location as I drive.

And DO NOT download offline map because it is ****. Why? Once you download offline map, it will start computer directions on your phone and gives you terrible directions. The download offline map is completely useless unless I know I am going out of cell tower and I don't care good driving directions.

And if this has anything to do with contract with Nokia, just so you know, I have it and it SUCKS!!!! Ok, the map data is quite slim and snappy, I like that really. But, Nokia Drive sucks and Win8 direction list sucks!!!!. Give me back Mango half-navigation direction!!!.

• bob rhinebob rhine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is ridiculous. you sort of had turn by turn in windows phone 7.5 where you could tap the screen. then during the windows phone 8 unveil, you said you'd have nokia maps and turn by turn directions (yes, there are pictures of the powerpoint slide everywhere that say this) and now, we're left without even the tap for the next direction options. there are no voice directions entirely now. what in the world did you guys mean during the windows phone 8 conference when you said you would have turn by turn directions? i'm so disappointed, because this the primary feature that i use on my current smartphone and it was going to be the reason why i switched to windows phone 8. all major platforms have turn by turn now, except for microsoft. yeah, i understand that nokia's have drive, but not everyone has a nokia. i'm sure as heck not going to buy a nokia on verizon. if they're not willing to put out their top of the line phone, i'll go with the HTC 8x, but this is where the problem lies... HTC doesn't have turn by turn. you let Nokia take over mapping, but you couldn't get turn by turn. i'd rather use Bing Maps and have turn by turn if that were the case.

• SawungKampretSawungKampret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope this feature still running event if the screen locked, it will save battery life n this good for people who use motorcylce

• On the fenceOn the fence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't anyone see why the voice doesn't prompt you automatically? It's a way for your carrier to offer this feature that is not available and at an additional price. MSFT had to cripple their navigation so that AT&T could make money on the full featured navigation app with turn-by-turn directions. MSFT has no leverage on the carriers. Apple, and Google due to their popularity tell the carriers what to do . Carriers tell MSFT what to do.

• JYJY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

REAL turn-by-turn navigation please. If anyone has questions about how high the bar has been set, use the Android turn-by-turn navigation. Windows Phone navigation should be just as good if not better.
        Nokia Drive gets by in a pinch, but it's not nearly as good as Android. Search really sucks, re-routing algorithms need improvement, and that oh so important feature of giving correct and optimized directions (Nokia Drive has gotten me lost a few times)

• sinister1sinister1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone remember Bing maps on Windows Mobile? Remeber how much better it was than on Windows Phone? It's no wonder developers and people alike don't really take the platform to serious. For God sakes already Microsoft get it together.

• Samuel HerreraSamuel Herrera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree; Windows Mobile kicks Windows Phone's butt when coming to useful apps and functionality; sure Windows Phone is faster and slicker and doesn't freeze up like WM use to but it is so locked down. Come one Microsoft stop trying to secure everything like Apple.

• samprassampras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Point of interest numbers should be incresed drastically.It is null compared to Google maps in most part of world but US.Even catching up is so difficult for bing maps.And the layout is not that terrific.

• KristenKristen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

6.5 had this, why doesn't 7.5????? Hate default map app. Also need to know what side of the road destinations are on.

Feedback and Knowledge Base