Please enter your feature suggestion...

Device backup

Enable a way to backup a Windows Phone, including SMS/MMS and applications and settings

14,016 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MichaelMichael shared a merged idea: Full phone backup to skydrive  ·   · 
    Richard NalezynskiRichard Nalezynski shared a merged idea: Full backup capability with restore transfer functionality via Zune and cloud  ·   · 
    Debbie CollinsDebbie Collins shared a merged idea: 100% Backup/Restore for Windows Phone 7!!!  ·   · 
    TrakmanTrakman shared a merged idea: Full Backup to allow transfer to new device or replacement device  ·   · 
    CinaenCinaen shared a merged idea: sms backup  ·   · 

773 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robert HillRobert Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just spent the last month getting my new Nokia Lumina 900 setup after using a Samsung Focus from dy one. I did put up with the pain because I didn't want it exactly like the way I had setup the Focus but then a couple days ago the Lumina took a plung into the toilet. It survived without damage so far but wish it were backed up now instead of at the last update. Restore points are just a wish and a prayer away. Is Microsoft listening?

• vabopivabopi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a shame that only with Zune - that is media oriented - the phone is allowed to comunicate with pcs. What about something like PC Suite, or better yet My Phone Explorer using Bluetooth? Even managing a few dozen contacts with Windows Live is a nightmare.

• KinatonKinaton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a let down.. well that and the 3g bug/battery issues on the lumia 800.. Shocking from 2 big companies..

And never had a phone where you can;'t back up.!

• GarryGarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not going to upgrade to my next device until this is resolved.

• Richard NalezynskiRichard Nalezynski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not a #FreeTimeMachine if you have to start all over on a new device or if something happens to your current device.

• lnf001@sbcglobal.netlnf001@sbcglobal.net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an ESSENTIAL FEATURE!!! We will pay for this functionality, even though there are freebies in the Android/iToy spheres. As great as the phone is, a basic, even core feature is missing. Please address this as soon as practical or even get one of the developers to spend some time on it. There are plenty of games, but why the lack of utilities?

• Mike WhiteMike White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a user backup procedure needs to be implemented as soon as possible. And this includes the ability to migrate the backup to another phone. I represent a Microsoft Partner, and we are seeing increased sales from teaming Microsoft's Office 365 (cloud solution) with Windows Phone. The integration is just seamless. Some of our customers are using 2 year old first gen devices, which are now end of life, and many are considering upgrades, especially to the new Nokias. However a big stumbling block for us, from an "ecosystem" point of view is the inability to move SMS from old to new phone. For many businesses these SMS messages are as important as email, and right now they will lose these messages. If MS want Windows Phone to penetrate the business market, they must give us the right tools to enable migration...

• Raptor1090Raptor1090 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue has been one of the biggest issues since Windows Phone came out 1.5 years ago. Nothing has been done in years. How can Microsoft expect to compete to Android or iOS with such hindering issues. WP has got the best experience no other phone comes close to match, but also the worst experience when it comes to issues like this. Unfortunately for WP, the bad outweighs the good and Microsoft really needs to address things that are so in its face. I've been looking to get the new Lumia phone, but will not be able to considering I will lose all my phone data that I can not transfer to the new phone. Microsoft is not only losing its customer satisfaction, but also the lost potential income.

• Sarah BowerSarah Bower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everything here. Actually wondering about scanning text screens and saving messages that way! How desperate is that??

• ZoltarZoltar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate to point this out to all the WP7 lovers out there, but, MS didn't address a full backup solution for Windows Mobile either. It took third party developers to come up with an application(s) that worked. I'm not holding my breath waiting for MS on this one. This is truly the weakest point of an otherwise great OS.

• sysu jeffsysu jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there is no doubt that my windows phone will break down oneday.so i need to reset my phone.but all my messages,application data and settings are missing.i am so sad.an easy and efficiant way to backup data is of great importance.

Feedback and Knowledge Base