Please enter your feature suggestion...

Fix unread state for moved/deleted emails.

After reading an email and then deleting it, the email is moved to the "Deleted Items" folder, however it is marked as unread.

268 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    User787User787 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • xpxp2002xpxp2002 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe so. I hate to jump to a conclusion without adequately testing, but it appears on all my accounts that I can now read and delete, or read and move a message without performing two manual syncs.

Me too. Windows 8 had it right from the start. Everyone at Microsoft must be using Exchange on their Windows Phone. I just can't understand how no one has noticed what a major problem this is.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm praying this is fixed when 8.1 dev preview lands next week! This drives me crazy enough to drop Windows Phone all together.

As of November, this issue has now persisted for 3 years since RTM of Windows Phone 7.

I received Update 3 today. This still remains unfixed. I still remain disappointed and frustrated. Nobody at Microsoft must use Windows Phone for email because there is no way this could have gone unnoticed this long.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just picked up a Lumia 520 (yes I know it is old but it was cheap) and notice this problem is still current but there does not seem to be any activity since August last year. Anybody have any idea about a fix?

• Mike P.Mike P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been a problem for a long time now. What is the hold-up on the fix? It's annoying enough to make want to go back to my iPhone 4s which doesn't have this problem. I'm seriously considering upgrading to the iPhone 5s in the next month or two.

This is still broken in Windows Phone 8. Windows 8's Mail client even got this right. What is the delay in getting this annoying issue resolved?

• JMSJMS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, email sync is a big issue. Coming from BlackBerry Enterprise, I am very disappointed. I expect my Exchange email sync to be real time.....read mail, deleted mail, whatever!

• TratcherTratcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that a changed flag state (set flag, complete, clear flag) does not sync correctly either when an item is moved to another directory before syncing, but only if the other directory is not currently synced to the phone.

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FWIW I just checked and in our environment (Exchange 2010 SP1) both iPhone and Android get this right. Marking an item as read or deleting it automatically pushes those changes back to the exchange server.

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like how all of the commenters have voted 3 on this. How is this not working correctly? It can't be that hard to fix.

I reported this to @winphonesupport last year when build 7004 first came out, and it still isn't fixed. I don't understand how no one else has noticed this. It might be a minor issue if you only use Exchange and/or Hotmail, but if you archive messages with Gmail it presents a huge problem.

The issue is that unlike any other Exchange ActiveSync client I've ever used, Windows Phone (and Mobile 6.x before it) caches read/unread/deletion data until the next forced sync or push occurs, but deletion supersedes a read/unread instruction. Thus, if you delete a message the message stays in your online mailbox until sync occurs, then when sync happens the message deletion action happens without marking the message read. It's as if the client simply tells the server to "delete" the message, which usually means archive the message (removing the Inbox label) or move the message to Deleted Items. Consequently, both happen without marking the message read and it will sit in your All Mail/Deleted Items folder until you manually go back on the PC and mark it read.

The workaround is to manually sync your mail provider after marking the messages read, but before deletion. Then if you want them to actually disappear online you have to manually sync again after deletion. Very cumbersome and difficult if you have a busy mail account that you try to keep organized throughout the day.

Feedback and Knowledge Base