Please enter your feature suggestion...

Make Windows Phone's a first class citizen in Windows 8

Access via Explorer Pictures, Videos, Music, etc as libraries through Device Stage, instead of showing up as an MP3 Player. Update through Windows Updates.

1,353 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Navarr BarnierNavarr Barnier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Samuel HerreraSamuel Herrera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft just needs to admit they messed up in releasing Windows Phone in such a rush that it turned out to be a Mobile Windows Vista. Stop trying so hard to copy Apple and give us back what you took away from us when you took Windows Mobile away from us.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who told you that Windows 7 is CE Kernel?
        All of Microsoft Windows (excluding Windows Me, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone) are NT Kernel since Windows 2000. (Prior to that, it's DOS-based kernel)

PS. And I think that Windows Phone Apollo is based on Windows CE Kernel too (Quite unsure)

• Hazel G.Hazel G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop treating competing mobile OSes with greater favor than your own. This isn't an Army-Navy game. Get the heads of WP and W8 together and make 100% compatibility, syncing, etc. available from day one on Windows 8 and SkyDrive/cloud services i.e. music, docs, photos, videos, settings, contacts, etc. This should be a seamless experience, not something we should have to wait for or ask for. You can do it.

• CredoCredo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Phone 7.5 is CE kernel right ?
        Windows Phone 8 is NT kernel.

The desktop Windows 7 is also CE kernel and the update to desktop Windows 8 consumer preview in NT kernel is possible so why the **** would microsoft not update its wp7.5 devices to Apollo :)

I think the update from 7.5 to 8 will be possible :) (think about the official word of microsoft, saying that all current apps will work, what a hint :) ), iff apps running on CE can run on NT kernel, then a CE kernel will also update to NT kernel just like Windows 7 to 8 ;)

• ClaudeClaude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree that it should be done through Windows Update. That processes many operating system updates for the current version of the desktop OS, that Windows Phone should have it's own dedicated location for updates AND/OR be able to update independently OTA (over-the-air)

• kareemkareem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if i can add these things here becouse im out of vote

right now im using two computers as one becouse of a program by MICROSOFT in other words the same company that made the windows phone and windows, its really stuped to not be able to send filed from
        OFFICE, LIVE ESSENTIALS, DESKTOP, MEDIAPLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!,.... and to only send some stuff from zune justtttttt like the iphone, i didnt buy an iphone becouse i thought im getting a better thing from windows mobile , looks like im wrong... at least with win 8 PROVE ME WRONG

and it would be stupid to not add stylus functions to your mobile phone since 95% of the really big businesses i see still using windows mobile

think of it like this... look what is apple is doing... do like it BUT BETTER

for example they made the visual keyboard, you will do the same BUT you keep the features you had in windows mobile

you see them have a stuped HID bluetooth, you put full bluetooth support with home button and ctrl c ctrl v shortcuts...

• DrmnyousufDrmnyousuf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows desktop OS and windows phone are from the same company and even share the same name; yet they do not seamlessly interact. Instead the simplest of tasks like transferring a file is tedious and unnecessarily requires syncing with the cloud. This is unforgivable and will seriously hurt windows phones chances of success in developing nations where high speed internet is not readily available. This serious limitation must be resolved.

• ThatGuyThatGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have WP store your windows profile settings and skydrive acct details.
        So now when you go to a computer that has windows on it and enabled this feature, A profile will pop up with your profile name and profile pic at the login screen. So it will look like you have a profile on that computer but you don’t. Windows is creating a virtual profile by reading info from your phone and skydrive. When you logout and your phone is out of range it disappears. Your profile background will be there, your IE bookmarks will be there, and allow other apps to store data that can be transferred too. Good uses for this would be at a friends house instead of a guest profile yours or corporate setting or a library.

You can use this for xbox too when you go to a friends house you can use your xbox live profile from your phone on your friends xbox instead of importing it.

Also when searching for files like say a word document or a VS project, in the file open dialog allow you to search your Windows Phone

For xbox you can use your headset as a mic instead of the usual mic. Also you can be in a xbox live party and talk to people on xbox live without even turning on your xbox by just using your phone. So if my friends are playing xbox and I am doing something else I can join their party through my phone and talk to them. Also instead of using the controller to send text mssgs you can use your phone and you can send pics or vids from your phone to people on xbox live.

Add automatic support for streaming of phone apps/movies/games/music to xbox/windows

Also use your other properties to market.
        Ex. Get a WP get a free upgrade to Win8
        Get a free year of xbox live
        Get Halo Map pack for free etc.

• Shazad HussainShazad Hussain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better Media Connectivity....Pretty Please!

Either that or remove the Windows Moniker, as it doesn't really seem to have anything to do with it at the moment.

If possible, please also *** xvid/divx support and get the lazy WHS Team to update their App to Mango.

• DBourrieDBourrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I bought a Windows 7.5 phone when my Windows 5 phone died. With Windows 5, I used the ability to easily sync files from my desktop Windows computer to my WP 5 phone. I used to be able using Windows explorer on my desktop to drag and drop files in either direction between the two platforms. Why can't do that now? Sky Drive introduces uneeded additional steps.

• WP LoverWP Lover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I interested in Windows Phones update, currently i'm using HTC Mozart and yet to upgrade to Mango. Have not prompt for any upgrade till now. I'm in Malaysia. In near future, I would like to get the latest upgrade from Microsoft.

• TreverTrever commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been a user since way back. I would like to see a return of some 6.5 features:
        - complete call log (i.e. duration of phone call in minutes)
        - ability to see/isolate call log of just a single number/contact
        - multi-option on calendar reminders (30 minute, 1 hour, 4 hour, etc)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base