Please enter your feature suggestion...

Own the update process

Get the carriers and manufacturers out of the update process. Carriers should not be allowed to arbitrarily block updates.

4,607 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ToddTodd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) responded  · 

Mobile operator control of the update process is standard industry practice followed by iOS, Android as well as Windows Phone. We will continue to work with mobile operators to make updates available to your phones when they are ready

122 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If all you do is follow the industry standard than great things like App / Music Stores, mp3 players, touch interfaces & etc would not exist.

I don't care what the current state of affairs is, I want the latest software on my phone. Period. No excuses.

• DD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not "completed!"

In 2 days Apple has 50% of all iPhones running iOS 8 - all 5 supported models, all dozen carriers. You cant tell me you are doing what they are doing when every WP out there has a different OS on it. Fix your s%!t.

• conorconor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its a standard practice but its not a good practice, they can control the market by withholding updates, its just there way of getting leverage on you.

• Yakko WarnerYakko Warner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two words: Lumia 810
        The Cyan update to bring things like Bluetooth 4.0 support will never reach this phone, that T-Mobile dropped support for not 6 months after I bought it. While I'm thankful for the "Developer" program to get the software update, the fact that the carrier has effectively shut down firmware updates for no discernable reason has soured me on the whole experience.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. It's a software thing not hardware. Telco's and continental borders are a last century idea. Just like regional dvd. It no longer makes sense in our current globally networked world. The only provisions that need to be made are that the software needs to recognise any difference's in hardware that may affect operation of the device.

• Vadym VoznyukVadym Voznyuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this was implemented a while ago, should be closed now. Thanks MS for implementing such a nice and slick carrier-free update method!

• dinomytedinomyte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good work, Microsoft, on the Preview for Developers. That feature was really appreciated.

• JesusJesus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sign up on AppStudio, donwload the Preview for Developers and you'll get all updates (earlier!!) "On-The-Air"!
        It's really simple!

• dgre057dgre057 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Black a Microsoft update or a Nokia update? Soon there should be no difference, and MS have made all their updates available to everyone immediately through these simple steps:

1) Go to http://appstudio.windowsphone.com/?stay=1 and click “Start new project”.
        2) Sign in with the outlook account you use with your Windows Phone.
        3) Select a username (not important), tick “I agree”, and then click register.
        4) On your phone, download the “Developers Preview” app (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/preview-for-developers/178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96) – you can actually install apps to the phone from the internet!!
        5) Open the app, sign in with your account, agree to the terms and click “Enable Preview for Developers”.

All done! Now any updates will show up immediately under “Phone Update” in Settings. No more waiting for useless providers to get them to you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed this is mandatory for Windows Phone to thrive.
        Apple Phone users get the updates Apple makes for them. In the meantime I'm sitting here with my Nokia 810 ( I got it because of the SD card option ) which I bought outright ( $500 ) and now TMobile will not let me have the Black update which is released for the phone. So my great phone investment is now worthless.

• robert50robert50 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting on GDR3 for Lumia 925 on T-Mobile. Why is T-Mobile blocking it?

• DylanDylan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't have data sense on my Ativ S with GdR2. NZ carries suck when WP updates are being deployed.

• MiltonMilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, with lumia amber you guys in microsoft failed completely, you should look for a new way to update your os in shorter periods of time, maybe you should ask for help in apple, they updated their whole compatible devices to ios7 way before some of us dreamed about having amber

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base