Please enter your feature suggestion...

Dictation of punctuation when using voice-to-text.

It would be nice to be able to dictate punctuation (comma, full-stop, question mark) when using the voice-to-text feature.

229 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jeff MoodyJeff Moody shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • OCPOCP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is highly important. I expected 8.1 would fix it, but am disappointed to find it did not. Please consider this for those of us who rely on it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. This is very irritating on my newly purchased Lumia 1020. Otherwise, the phone is great and the OS, other than the lack of punctuation for voice to text, is great!

• DavidGDavidG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Difficult for me to comment about in any great detail, having had my Nokia Lumia 925 for only 2 weeks before it had to go in for repair (now been advised might be 2 more weeks because they sat on the device for a week because they couldn't get its serial number).

However, having reviewed others' remarks I can anticipate problems ahead. I've been using Nuance Naturally speaking since v6 and now on 12. Dictating punctuation is just so natural and second-nature - it just works - so I believe that it was entirely reasonable to expect the same functionality in WP8 "...the most accurate Speech Recognition engine powered by Nuance, makers of Dragon Naturallyspeaking ..." Almost.

• Dave NanianDave Nanian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given Microsoft's early leadership in the voice input field, and the depth of its natural language team, it's kind of shocking how limited its voice input features are.

Getting this to parity with Nuance/iOS/Google's voice input - leaving the whole "Siri" thing aside - would be extremely helpful.

• johnjohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love my Lumia 920 but speech to text needs punctuation and Calendar on a small screen really needs a one week instead of a monthly view

• mkmk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the only reason I won't switch from an iPhone. This seems so obvious.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolute necessity. I moved from Android which did this flawlessly and I'm very disappointed that Windows Phone doesn't do this.

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And dictation commands like "New Paragraph", "Undo from <..word..>", "Spelling start <n e w w o r d> spelling stop"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I guess it ISN'T possible to dictate punctuation? Drats. I was hoping it was just me doing it wrong. Bleh.

• AskaLanglyAskaLangly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. It is annoying doing sentence-by-sentence... Sometimes, it just doesn't know when to put a question mark!

• rodexrodex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, This is a very important feature that's missing. Although it recognizes terms such as "smiley face" etc.. there's not way to put the punctuation.
        @Anonymous, right now there is automated punctuation but it is limited to only one sentence. Example, if you say "what's up?" the text automatically inserts a question mark. However, as i mentioned its limited to only one sentence.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base