Please enter your feature suggestion...

Bring back contextual hardware search button

Revert the change in Mango where the hardware search button always brings up Bing and is no longer contextual, or allow us to toggle this.

1,427 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BrentNBrentN shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

100 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bas SchwarzBas Schwarz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Cortana now provides contextual search for web, local, images and anything on your phone"

This is one of the most stupid responses I've read in a while.

Don't you guy's at MS understand the request at all?

• Bas SchwarzBas Schwarz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, cortana cannot. You're forgetting that the whole world minus 1 country cannot use cortana, and will not have acces for quite some time (years most likely).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never use my search button since it's not contextual...it's completely useless in its current state...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One tap on the Search button should be contextual while tap and hold should open up Bing. An option could also be added to Settings that can swap these. That way everyone can "have their cake and eat it too!"

• Christian Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate "bing" since search button only brings me to Bing. What a waste of hardware

• Chris McGrathChris McGrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft was right to get rid of this feature, as it was implemented it just didn't work. There was no way to know if pressing the back button would search the app or bring up bing.

I'd like to see it changed so pressing the search ALWAYS does contextual search (and nothing if there is no contextual search) holding the search ALWAYS brings up bing.

pressing the search from the start screen could bring up bing.

• SKSK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did miss the contextual search when it went. I would like to have that as an option I could enable. Thanks.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. If in mail, search should search mail. If in IE, open web search. If in Zune (Music+Videos), search my music and videos. That's what I expect. What I get is always going to Bing search. I frankly don't care about Bing search unless I were at the start screen or within IE. Anywhere else, I would prefer a long press to activate Bing Search or a double press.

I love the windows phone, except this one issue. Driving me crazy. Please fix asap.

• lakslaks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. I never use my search button because of this. I always wanted it to be contextual.

I LOVE seeing other people with this same problem as me! It makes me feel so much better about the frustration of not being ale to disable this absolutely useless button!!!! Contextual plz! Make it a physical press button so we don't press it accidentally! Disable it while taking pictures!

Whenever I hand my phone to someone to take a picture they accidentally press the search button! ugghhhh

I just got a windows phone and I am shocked the search button is not contextual! Beyond belief. Wtf guys????

• Teemu HautalaTeemu Hautala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want to use Bing. I don't want whatever I'm doing being interrupted every time I accidentally touch the button.

• royroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely needs to be changed! It's instinctual to press the search button for searching within certain apps/programs, then disappointing that it opens Bing search.

You can change the search button to Google however,
        >go to IE
        >Settings>set default search at google
        >now go to Regional settings and set search language to russian.
        Now it will direct you to google instead of bing.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base