Please enter your feature suggestion...

Allow default apps to be changed

Allow other apps to handle activities. For example, if I want to use a navigation app other than Bing, allow that app to be registered as the default, so clicking on address links in calendar appointments launches my app, not Bing.

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Josh GillespieJosh Gillespie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nikhil HiraniNikhil Hirani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Truly said man. Microsoft should implement this as,
        Settings> swipe to Applications> App preferences.
        This should include setting up the default music player, video player, web browser, email app, note taking app, sound recorder, and also whether to complete the action using the app or the web browser.
        Eg: if you open a link to a video file of YouTube, like Android it should ask, "Complete the action using" either the Youtube app or IE or any web browser, and choose default action for the future.

• maximemaxime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like Nokia Maps to be the default map app. Implementing this feature would be a huge opportunity for WP to become a truly upgradable OS.

• WPFanWPFan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my vote to this too. It'd be nice to change all default apps to something else if the user wants too. Default browser, camera, map service, pictures, videos, search engine, contacts, mail etc,

Not saying these apps are all subpar, but giving users the option for alternatives is always great.

• John CutlerJohn Cutler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I switched from a iPhone to a Samsung Focus when it came out. I love the phone and I love WP 7.5 but my biggest frustration is the navigation. I want to add my voice that there should be a way to switch the default navigation program.

I have used Bing maps for a while and about 15% of the time I search for something or put in a address it sends me to the wrong spot. I once put in a address, city, state and it sent me to a address that doesn't exist on the wrong street in the wrong town. Other times I have searched for a business found the address had Bing navigate me there only to end up in some apartment parking lot several blocks from the business I wanted. It wouldn't be so bad if Bing maps told me it couldn't find the exact address and offered suggestions or prompted me to clarify my request but it doesn't, it just plans a route and if you follow it you are often in the wrong spot. It's really frustrating to have to double check the results Bing maps gives you with a different source. I wouldn't mind being locked into Bing maps if I could trust it but I can't and don't.

For my wife this is a deal breaker, she wants to switch to a Android just to get better navigation, I am considering it too but I am hoping that this gets fixed soon.

Please allow us the option to choose which application is default.

Feedback and Knowledge Base