Please enter your feature suggestion...

FLAC music support

FLAC is the predominant lossless open source format. Windows Phone is unique among all the mobile OS to not have support

4,515 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

81 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BryanBryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The absence of FLAC on Microsoft products comes from the Steve Ballmer legacy. I think FLAC will eventually be supported but it will take awhile.. Satya Nadella is far more open to standards and being cooperative with competitors when it comes to mutual customer interests. Give him a chance as he's got 12 years worth of gross mismanagement to straighten out.

The FLAC Decoder is already built into Windows 8 at least. You can tell this by attempting to copy a FLAC file to a Windows Phone.. You will be prompted to "convert" the file.. This would not be possible without the decoder present on the system somewhere.

Agreed though that by not supporting FLAC, Microsoft is handing the small but vocal audiophile market to Google on a silver platter.

• Illutian KadeIllutian Kade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really can't understand why Microsoft would carry MP3...but not another free codec.

Google's own app, Google Music, plays FLAC...But Microsoft's doesn't....the logic (or lack thereof) it hurts

• jd rickardjd rickard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me add my straw to the pile. FLAC is essential. Don't be the last to this party Microsoft. Pono has it and all serious music lovers are moving to lossless.

• Nils Henrik HannaasNils Henrik Hannaas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want high quality music playback on our phone. Many people use theyr phone as a music player. WP is not an option for high quality sound. Get a good dac in the phone too. Such as Oppo and others have done. Cheers.

• Gigih SanjayaGigih Sanjaya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Phone shall play any of music file, especially for lossless format like flac, ape, ogg lossless, wma lossless, m4a lossless, etc.
        Even, android 4.3 can play flac. WP is very lack on this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The future of subscription based audio has already started to emerge, in the flac format. Wimp hifi is now streaming lossless flac to the android platform and ALAC for the ios platform. No lossless support for WP8.
        Come on Microsoft, You may be protective of WMA but but no-one is offering it as a streaming format.

• Will DavisWill Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any music player that doesn't support .flac is shooting itself in the balls. My archived collection is all in .flac and I listen to it on my Cowon mp3 player - and foobar 2k. yes even mp3 players support .flac.

WM8.1 does not support FLAC, this is very sad. Compared to Android this is a major lack of state of the art music listening.

• BalaBala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like hearing songs in .FLAC because it brings the life of sound in the song. So Microsoft please add .FLAC support in the next release. I don't want to switch to another phone because of this and I don't want to use other software as this has to be provided by Microsoft.

• Tolga PerperekTolga Perperek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LOL the Lumia 1020 can catch 200hz of sound but cant play any FLAC-embrassing and a big fault from Microsoft side.

really importent to me as almost all of my music is flac.
        why doesnt it works with the WMP codecs?

• JeromeJerome commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really looking for a Phone with embedded flac support. In a couple of months I will replace my Lumia 920. I am looking at the 930 but will also consider LG G3 that supports FLAC.

• ValeriyValeriy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think,it's very important support Flac codec and Flac audio file format. Also i think important that the phone supports many codecs, because when i Used my 5800 Express Music i could listened all music when i wanted..but now ,when i having Lumia 920 i cant do it, and I it's **** angry! Надеемся на лучшее!

• gunslingergunslinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add FLAC support and you'll have another loyal customer.
        Until that, Android FTW. So, think about that one MS !

• JoeJoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this. I buy my music online almost exclusively as FLAC from shops such as Boomkat and Bleep. I still buy a fair amount on CD too, and when I can face re-digitising my entire physical collection yet again, it'll be one last time for a FLAC-only collection. It's annoying to have to save a LAME-converted 320kbs mp3 of every FLAC.

Apple made a big mistake by restricting file formats so much, and they only did it to promote their own proprietary lossless format. Please don't repeat their error. It would be so effortless to add FLAC support to WP, and the goodwill you'd receive might be relatively small, but it would be very worthwhile: easy good press, and another reminder to the public that Windows Phone exists and is constantly improving.

• BryanBryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a marketing decision, made under Ballmer's reign who thought he could dominate the world by forcing people to use Microsoft's file formats. Hopefully Nadella will see the light here and reverse this pathetic decision by his technology and market ignorant predecessor and his even more ignorant team..

• Matthew MuellerMatthew Mueller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm interested in getting a Windows Phone as my next device, and while I'll likely continue to download songs in both FLAC and MP3 format for the device (thank you Bandcamp!) in order to save on space, it's highly annoying to HAVE to do so because the device doesn't support the format. At least Android gives me that option. And it's not even like you have to pay royalties or a licensing fee or anything, it's an open source codec!

• MisutsuMisutsu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Android for two reasons :

- FLAC
        - Real mass storage

Add this in Windows Phone 8.2,3 4 6546846 98945 and i switch immediatly

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base