Please enter your feature suggestion...

FLAC music support

FLAC is the predominant lossless open source format. Windows Phone is unique among all the mobile OS to not have support

3,586 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ThamrinThamrin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update with FLAC support cause we care for quality and we do believe that windows phone is also a fine quality one.

• BryanBryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep Anonymous (I vote against), you're wrong about that. It's about existing investment in digital audio content and hardware that plays FLAC. You failed to read through the thread adequately.

• moopigmoopig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FLAC support on mobile devices isn't about audio quality (for most people), it's about convenience. I have 1200+ albums in FLAC format and all the lossless music I buy online comes as FLAC. There is no way I'm going to waste my time converting it to MP3 or AAC just so I can listen to it on a crippled mobile device. This is why, after waiting for over a year for Windows Phone to get proper FLAC support, I went out and bought an Android.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote against this because including support means a bigger OS on phone. Do y'all really need exact studio quality on a phone of all things? Lumias have good speakers (and possibly good audio chips), but not nearly enough to discern difference between AAC and FLAC.

I was considering switching from Android to WP next upgrade, then I found out there was no native FLAC support. Fix this or I am staying with droid.

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add FLAC support to XBOX music. It really is a must-have codec to support.

• Hans David MatrasHans David Matras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really care about music sounding good, and although the 320 kbps mp3 is allright, FLAC is just better, and i really want the best music experience at all times.

FLAC support is must for me to make switch from Android to Windows Phone, I have around 60GB of Flacs and it is painful to convert each and everyone of them!!!, it's pretty bad that MS doesn't support it...... Come on!! get out of WMA, it's time has passed, people hardly use it anymore.....

I have around 90GB of (legal) flac audio. I have no way of syncing this using WMP to my Windows Phone 7.8. The old Zune s/w does not support it. I don't want to go back to using .wma lossless becauce I have 3 other media devices on the network which don't support .wma lossless - so .flac is my only choice. I don't care if you make .flac support directly in Windows Phone or allow WMP to sync/transcode to 320kbps wma or whatever - but you really need to offer a way for serious audio people to use their main lossless audio filetype on Windows Phone. So far I have spent over £50 on rippers converters and players and all this is doing is moving me further away from the Windows Phone / Windows Media Player environment.
        You really need to get your act together for the audiophile or the audiophile will move away from you.

• JarooddJaroodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Flac is not supported by the built-in player but is available in Windows Phone 8. For example Moliplayer plays flac files... and a whole bunch of others. But why no one officially respond for requests of the people here?

Honestly by supporting flac format, Windows Phone will increase it's visibility to the market. flac you microsoft :)

Why is everything regarding Microsoft, or Apple on that matter, always a huge compromise.. Common, give us FLAC and/or ALAC support.. Otherwise, no one on their right minds will ditch ITunes, when they have all their collections in lossless format there - remember, you're the ones trying to gain market on Android / iOS, not the other way around...

• IWANTFLACIWANTFLAC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I HAVE SOME FLAC MUSIC TO LISTEN BUT A ICANT

ADD FLAC MUSIC SUPPORT OR I BUY IPHONES, PS4 AND USE LINUX AS OS

• IWANTFLACIWANTFLAC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC FLAC

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base