Please enter your feature suggestion...

Two-way full email sync

We need the ability for the phone to automatically push changes back to the server. Right now, the only way to do this is to manually click the sync button. After deleting or moving emails, one has to click the sync button (or wait for new email to arrive) for the changes to sync back to the server. This really needs to perform automatically immediately after the action has been performed.

1,664 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ousooner314ousooner314 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) responded  · 

While we can’t promise to ship every suggestion that gets submitted, we will be sure that our product development team receives your feedback. We’re always listening!

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Yves CaronYves Caron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

isn't this something that has to do with how the mailserver handles the drop and flag requests.

• xpxp2002xpxp2002 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can search folders without syncing them. Just enter search keywords, then choose "search all folders" when you perform the server search.

• Gareth RobertsGareth Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the sync of Windows Phone 8.1 and Exchange server is not as seamless shall we say as that of an iPhone.

I think the delay in sync is to save battery. However what about if we give the user the option of a 'instant sync' feature that enables the faster sync as soon as an action is completed.

Also the ability to view and search folders without syncing them to the handset would be nice.

• Henrik HelgesenHenrik Helgesen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe that the iPhone handles an Office365 e-mail account better than a Windows Phone. The delayed sync is killing me!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is the "reply-to" field in e-mails being ignored? Say I get an e-mail from techsupport@company.com ; many times, the "reply-to" address will direct it to techsupportclaim1234@company.com, some kind of dynamically generated address that's designed to keep the thread going.

On Windows Phone, replies can --only-- be sent to the "from" address. The "reply-to" field is completely ignored, much UNLIKE Outlook on my desktop or in my browser!

email RFC (5322):

"3.6.2. Originator Fields
        [...]
        The originator fields also provide the information required when
        replying to a message. When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
        indicates the address(es) to which the author of the message suggests
        that replies be sent. In the absence of the "Reply-To:" field,
        replies SHOULD by default be sent to the mailbox(es) specified in the
        "From:" field unless otherwise specified by the person composing the
        reply."

Please, correct this functionality!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just switched from IPhone to Windows phone and discovered the mindless stupidity that is Email sync on Windows Phone. Do you people at Redmond actual THINK about the way people use devices? This is idiotic. My IPhone updated the mail on the server perfectly and I expected a Windows Phone to do the same thing. Pathetic!

• RmmfRmmf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be available to outlook.com / WP / Outlook 20xx users...

• AOAO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everything that has been said here. The fact the Microsoft's phone platform has the least functional of all the competing ActiveSync clients is infuriating. The irony of it just kills me. I run in a corporate environment that allows me get whatever phone I want. If this does not get fixed soon, then bye bye WP8.

• JukeBoxxJukeBoxx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today email functionality is one of the most important feature for smartphones. Email traffic is increasing extremly. Why MS do not pay attention on it?? Shame Microsoft..!

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The app should sync whenever you hit home or back from the mail client at the minimum.

read/unread not always being synced is annoying but not having files move around without hitting the sync button sucks.

• Peter GPeter G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Apple email app does better sync then windows email app. Please improve email sync.

• George Koch IIIGeorge Koch III commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe that for a phone built by the same company that provides Exchange, that this isn't baked in by default. I wonder if anyone in Redmond has to "eat their own dogfood" and has to use WP8 as their mobile device. It would seem that if they did, this issue would quickly become a very large and painful bug (unless you don't care about read emails vs unread emails). Please update WP8 to include a fix to this so that email accounts that sync to Exchange automatically sync emails as read as they are read. Working off of a zero-inbox it defeats the purpose when my inbox and action folder shows empty, but my archive shows a bunch of unread messages.

• D GreeleyD Greeley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My e-mails do not show up as read between laptop & phone. If I read on phone, it will still show as unread on laptop. If I read on laptop, it will show as unread on phone. When I first got my phone a month ago, I thought e-mail was syncing up as read on both devices, but now I'm not so sure. Now, nothing I do seems to resolve this. It is so time consuming to look at e-mails twice to be sure I've read them.

• PawelPawel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just switched from iPhone, unfortunatelly I have to switch back to iPhone because of that issue

• Rodrigo NovaisRodrigo Novais commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Switched just before knowing about this issue. Needs correction ASAP. It is really disapointing to sync all the time...

• William BudneyWilliam Budney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this seriously needs to be fixed. I just switched to windows phone and currently disappointed... I never even knew a smartphone could have this problem

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree, this needs to be fixed. pressing refresh everytime reading an email is way too tedious

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base