Please enter your feature suggestion...

Please rename Windows Phone 7.8 as Windows Phone 8 CE or something

Just like apple give the iOS to iphone 3GS, but 3GS don't get the whole package. Please rename it.
You will lose a lot of customers if you don't call it WP8. And you'll drag Nokia to the ****. Please rename it. Please! Or none of the WP7 would be sold.

720 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Franklin liuFranklin liu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with this idea. WP 7.8 share the same start screem as that runs on WP8, microsoft should rename it to the WP8 CE.

• DJRipsterDJRipster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea alot... Move forward MS, people who are stuck with Windows Phone 7x, wouldnt like nothing more than to receive the WP8 update...

If you guys cant do it, at least give users a name we can live with...

• feelienfeelien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

right one, but MS would risk to be called a fool if they sell a WP8c(ut) f.e. Apple can do what they want, MS not....

• Grrrrrr!!!!Grrrrrr!!!! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You look desperate for this.... do you feel ashamed for no receiving the full windows 8 update? will you hide from your friends, in order to avoid being asked about your "new" phone system?

Are you going to loose a bet?

"oh well... mmm... they called it wp 7.8 but its a camouflage version, i swear!"

• RomanoRomano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have ever thought the same since the WP8 conference...

Apple do the same since the first upgrade to iphones.. do the same also for WP!

Less confusion and the difference will be only for NFC or other hardware differences (the sw differences are less noticeable for the most out there)

• Wade EdwardWade Edward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nokia helped to make this OS happen. Nokia didn't have that much input into WP7.5. Nokia had a **** of a lot of input into WP8. This is in evidence in the handling of camera hardware and in many other places. Nokia made this happen and in part it was their choice!
        Please don't tell me that Nokia are going to be upset by this upgrade, their fingers are all over this OS and it is what they need and want.
        This generational leap is want the platform needs. If I could find one in Australia I would still buy an unlocked Nokia 900 today. It is still a great phone and will be even better with 7.8.
        I can't wait to see what the new Nokia hardware is going to be like.

• wynngdwynngd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Denniskai commented · June 23, 2012 16:35 · Flag as inappropriate

have some user comment because the hardware cannot support wp8 so we cannot force window to update the wp7.5 to wp8. but how about the people just bought the lumia 900 one month ago?

- and to think that Micro$oft was the one who strictly implemented that HARDWARE Specs for Windows Phone 7...

• Bastien VandammeBastien Vandamme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From my experience the versioning in not only a choice of the company. There are rules. You can not rename a version really as you wish for public application. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• dmitriydmitriy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The version name is not the problem. iOS updates brings HUGE number of good features even for old phones. WP7.8 is going to bring just a new start screen. That is the problem for current WP users.

• EShyEShy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apple gave the same ios to older phones and disabled some unsupported features. This isn't the case here.
        Renaming 7.8 to 8 won't bring those features it will just make the lie even worse. You can't tell people you're getting WP8 when they're not. The start screen IS NOT the marquee feature of wp8. it's better than the current start screen but it's nothing compared to numerous other features (voip, language support, etc)

and, as was already mentioned, 7.8 will never run the new apps that will be built for wp8.

this isn't like the winrt/win8 scenario. with those two operating systems, all new apps in the win8 store would run on both

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base