Please enter your feature suggestion...

Provide IE 10 on WP 7.8

Given that IE10 supports web standards very well, if WP 7.8 does not have IE10 it is likely that some websites will just give up on window phone. Having to test a website with two versions of WP is not an option that most site will be willing to take.

5,621 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ian.ringroseian.ringrose shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) responded  · 

We are truly floored by the number of feature suggestions that we have received and the excitement about future Windows Phone releases. Some of you have been wondering, “Will Windows Phone 7.8 have the same features as in Windows Phone 8?” The answer, unfortunately, is no. Windows Phone 8 is a generation shift in technology, which means that it will not run on existing hardware. BUT we care deeply about our existing customers and want to keep their phones fresh, so we’re providing the new Start screen in the upcoming 7.8 update. We’ll have more to share on the Windows Phone 7.8 update in the coming weeks.

To stay in touch with Windows Phone announcements please read the Windows Phone blog: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/

58 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EduardoEduardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes websites do not display properly or some HTML embedded videos can not be seen. However, the most disappointing message to receive is "Please upgrade your browser". After having been redirected to that page I feel really sad an impotent. We, Windows phone users need IE10; we are being clearly mistreated.

• EduardoEduardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As it has been said, the browser is the most important application on a smartphone. IE9 does not meet the minimum standards for a modern mobile browser and we do not have other alternatives... So this is very sad, and it seems Microsoft is not willing to satisfy this reasonable demand. What a pity!

• TDHTDH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Find a way to let Windows Phone 7 Customers upgrade their devices to Windows Phone 8 devices. Windows Phone 8 is awesome and existing Phone 7 Customers can see this.

I am certain 90% of existing Windows Phone 7 customers would upgrade their devices if they were allowed to do so at new contract rates. Give them all a customer loyalty incentive and let them extend their contract and get new phones for Black Friday rates.

Who would not upgrade to an HTC 8X or Lumia 920 for $99.00 and $49.00 respectively

In this day and age of carrier contracts you should never have a phone over 2 years anyway.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE Add IE 10 FOR WINDOWS PHN 7.8.why Microsoft is taking care about only windows8 why not windows 7.8.
        remember microsoft your first success is windows 7.8 only.but u r not taking care about it.

• John SmithJohn Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Frankly, IE10 wouldn't matter if IE9 mobile would just gain support for some sort of touch-move events. It doesn't matter how they work, whether it supports touchmove or imitates mousemove - just SOMETHING that makes all the HTML5 games playable on it.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IE9 has some dificulties with HTML5. IE10 update is definitely a must-have for WP7.8

• Gerald CastleGerald Castle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote for IE 10. I use my phone for a lot of research papers. As a college student I can't afford another phone.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, the WP is cool after 3/4 year usage.. still can make it closer to perfect!

• Jibberish18Jibberish18 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really hoping that MS will at least offer 1st & 2nd Gen WinPhone users IE10 rather than just screwing us (More than they already have)

• Christopher LeckieChristopher Leckie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to be the most important request posted here to date. The reasoning behind leaving older devices behind is understandable but the browser is arguably the most important application on the phone, don't leave older devices behind.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base