Please enter your feature suggestion...

3rd Party Input Method. It is a BIG DEAL!

71 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JefferyJeffery shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jane BruntonJane Brunton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My friends with Androids are away ahead with this. Please WindowsPhone let me catch up with them. Otherwise my next phone will need to be an Android. :(

• Fòram Na GàidhligFòram Na Gàidhlig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Android already has such a method, so as a Gaelic speaker I would never even consider buying a Windows Phone unless this gets implemented.

• Ephrem BeyeneEphrem Beyene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Obviously Microsoft will have limitation to provide solution to all end-user needs especial those not in the short-term Microsoft market target and to address this best approach is to facilitate this to third-party Microsoft partners. That is proven to be working and reserve this market from rival companies. For example Amharic is spoken only in one country but spoken by about 80 million so it is easy to imagine the future market but in short term may be Microsoft won’t attracted to the market as it might not financial sound at the moment or for prioritizing reason.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Due to some decisions about writing systems for local languages already made, we need to have the barred u and barred i. So this is important to Tanzanians, and other African languages.

• Nathan J PledgerNathan J Pledger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely. The APIs can be opened up with minimal disruption to what is otherwise an excellent soft-keyboard.

And if the Windows 8 team had actually talked to the Windows Phone 8 team, they would have had a semi-usable soft keyboard, too.

• Martin BenjaminMartin Benjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be impossible for Microsoft to do all the work necessary to make input easy in every language. So please open the system for other people to do the work themselves!

• Daibhidh RothachDaibhidh Rothach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yip, if Gaelic was on this Windows it would be such a draw to speakers. Openness seems to be a major advantage over iPhone, but not much good for me without Gaelic.

• Isobel RossIsobel Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. So time-consuming and error-intensive to tap in languages with a lot of very long words, Scottish Gaelic, for example, letter by letter.

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, it's unnecessarily restrictive and a real problem for languages for which Windows Phone does not provide and an input method. Letter by letter typing is SOOO inconvenient on smartphones and tablets.

Feedback and Knowledge Base