Please enter your feature suggestion...

Orientation lock for Windows Phone 7.8

An orientation lock would be incredibly useful. I often read the news on my Windows Phone when lying on my side in bed - this causes the phone to change to landscape orientation, making it impossible to read.

Allowing the user to lock the orientation (the iPhone does this) would make for a much better experience when reading at an angle. I can't be the only person who reads in bed.

1,760 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jaypjayp shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) responded  · 

We are truly floored by the number of feature suggestions that we have received and the excitement about future Windows Phone releases. Some of you have been wondering, “Will Windows Phone 7.8 have the same features as in Windows Phone 8?” The answer, unfortunately, is no. Windows Phone 8 is a generation shift in technology, which means that it will not run on existing hardware. BUT we care deeply about our existing customers and want to keep their phones fresh, so we’re providing the new Start screen in the upcoming 7.8 update. We’ll have more to share on the Windows Phone 7.8 update in the coming weeks.

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • cannoncannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The strange thing is, orientation lock was an included feature in build 7003 when I had my LG Panther. Then was removed from 7004 when WP saw official release.

• ShrivedhShrivedh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ********. If a homebrew app can do this, why cant MSFT release their own app to do this? It's a simple feature to aid customer satisfaction. What the f is up with you people and denying basic features? It's like you're trying to fail.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, don't expect me to purchase a Windows 8 phone without this feature. This is something that should be standard. I'll have to look at the HTC One X.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, seriously this is not on the phone yet in 7.8 or Lumia 920? Pathetic

• JeffreyJeffrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ugh. Microsoft denying a feature as simple as this from the community even after over 1,500 votes of support is enough to make me want to get rid of my Windows Phone 8 device. Way to go Microsoft.

• Carlos Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. I'm typing this comment right from my Lumia 920 laying down un bed. Don't you guys realize thousands upon thousands of people read news,emails when they wake up in the mornings? Goodness, such a great phone lacking such basic feature is a plain shame! C'mon windows, how could you overlook such simple feature? These days orientation lock is just a given on a smart phone! Please add it! Like someone else said, its the little things but this one is HUGE to thousands if not millions of us;

• ZaraZara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extremely annoyed about the lack of orientation lock! Assumed it was standard on all smart phones. I had it on all the time with my LG cause, as everyone else has mentioned, it's a pain in the *** when you try to read in bed! Can't believe they haven't put this in, don't know how they've denied the request from so many people. P'd off! Stuck with a phone that I cant lock for the next 2 years!!

• RightMRRightMR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft always think they are right, can be proved to be wrong.
        Copy/paste the text, screenshots, gravity-locked, long connection, is a simple function, but it is not the first time to do it.
        Also doing some silly feature: click on the Tile, and restart the application.
        Non-popular feature: children's corner.

• Benjamin MorrisBenjamin Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is top of my NEEDED feature for windows phone 8, my old iphone had rotation lock on constantly. Messaging whilst lying down is such a pain!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Drollemans Thanks for informing Nokia 920 can't lock. Thought problem would have been corrected. Yes, it's just plain stupid. Can next Win 7 & 8 update correct this problem? Reading Lumia in bed is not pleasant experience.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Samsung Galaxy S2 has the locking feature. Was going to switch to Lumia 900 fulltime but this dealbreaker keeps me going back to Samsung.

• DrollemansDrollemans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this on my Nokia 920, with Windows Phone 8. Its so stupid that it isn't included yet, even my 6 year old phone has it.

• niepodamniepodam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just download an app from Windows Phone hacker they made app wich lock it :D And it's prefect :D

windowsphonehacker.com

• sergio sergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HOLA TENGO UN LUMIA 710, CUANDO SE PODRA CONECTAR CON BLUETOOTH A OTROS MOVILES, SOLO ACEPTA OTROS LUMIA Y ES UNA FUNCION MUY COMUN Y POPULAR INTERCAMBIAR FOTOS Y MUSICAS ENTRE JOVENES....
        GRACIAS

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base