Please enter your feature suggestion...

Add Text Wrapping/Reflow to improve browsing experience!

Text Reflow would be a fantastic addition to IE in Windows Phone, as it makes the browsing experience so much better. Please vote and spread the word to hopefully make this happen!

Not sure what text reflow is?

Text reflow is a feature which allows the browser to - when you pinch-to-zoom - automatically and dynamically adjust and re-indent/reformat text on ANY web page for much improved readability.
You can seamlessly adjust the zoom level for comfortable reading, and the text always stays perfectly aligned within the page margins with no words cut off, no matter the zoom level - so no more panning left and right to read a whole line, or squinting at tiny fonts that are near-impossible to read.

How is this different from normally zooming in on the text you want to read? When you zoom in without reflowing, some browsers automatically detect the text/page width and set the zoom level accordingly - but this often leaves you with a tiny typeface which is really hard to read at a glance.

And if you zoom in further to actually make things readable, the text will be cut off so you’ll have to resort to panning back and forth to read the lines in full.

Text reflow solves all of this. And it’s a feature that is absent on many other platforms, such as IOS and some Android implementations.
Having this in Windows Phone would be a stand-out feature that would be a boon to usability and accessibility!

Here are the benefits of text reflow:

* It gives you a much, much (much) better mobile browsing experience
* It makes text readable at a glance, by reformatting it to your chosen zoom level
* Words & sentences are never cut off/outside the screen, so no flicking left and right to read
* No more eyestrain staring at tiny fonts - zoom to a comfortable reading size and the text remains formatted perfectly
* Works with ALL web pages - pages don’t have to be designed for mobiles to be readable
* You can still view the whole page with the layout preserved, exactly as the web designer intended
* It makes mobile browsing much more accessible for those with poor eyesight

And believe me, once you’ve tried text reflow you NEVER want to go back to using a browser that doesn’t support it.

Please spread the word and vote for this so it can hopefully be implemented in Windows Phone!

PS: Here’s an example of text reflow on an HTC device: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-WJCyNCXIo

1,461 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    A AndA And shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    BehramiBehrami shared a merged idea: IE can wrap text to fit screem when zoom, like android and ios  ·   · 

77 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading mode is still not good or convenient enough in small devices like mobile phone where it has limited screen size.

• arg0arg0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Text reflow is still needed on IE11/WP81.
        Reading Mode (RM) does not always do a good job, because at times deleting all the formatting leads to illegible pages (e.g., in forum threads, with RM there is no difference between quoted text and newly added text).

Just moved from HTC Sensation to Nokia Lumia 625 and will go back to HTC android soon. Don't know what to do.

I agree 200%. Because of the lack of this basic feature I now gave up of buying nokia 625..and I am forced to look at BB q5..HTC with android,etc. I like nokia very musch, also OS from Microsoft for laptops and pc. But the lack of such a basic feature is unforgivable. The browser from a smartphone has to have a basic functionality like a browser for a laptop. I cannot conceive my opera browser or ie from the laptop that I am now writing, without text reflow of webpages.

• ChristianChristian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be a must, I am really missing this feature after having HTC/Android for many years. I must say I am reading less news in browser now than I used to do.

I am going back to my Note 2 for just this reason. I can't live with teeny fonts and all that scrolling, especially on the Web.

• FranciscoFrancisco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could be one of the best decisions that Microsoft could take to optimize the experience on windows phone.

• Ihab AbdelhalimIhab Abdelhalim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Phone used to have this feature until it was removed in Windows Phone 7.5! You could zoom out in IE, Outlook, Word, etc., and be able to see more words per line, with the text reflowing automatically. I was frustrated when it was removed and never restored. I am not getting the Lumia 1520 because despite the screen sizes growing from 3" all the way to 6", most WP native apps still maintain the same content on all screen sizes, with no zoom out. What a waste!

• FrustratedFrustrated commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use text wrap/single column view/large font size daily with Opera Mobile on my Nokia N900. This is really required to view desktop formatted web sites on a 3.5 inch screen. Now with my new Nokia 521, I'm forced to deal with tiny fonts, sideways scrolling, etc. using IE. Microsoft needs to pay Opera to use or license their superior mobile browser product/patents on WP8 devices. Many web sites will never produce mobile formatted content and why install a bunch of useless apps. just to view each website?

• ZeeCeeZeeCee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The alternative to this is to depend on web devs to make their sites mobile-ready. That's just not realistic.

• Shantanu GuptaShantanu Gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTF....how can Microsoft leave such a basic things...if i would have known this...I won't have purchased windows phone...android phone was just awesome in reading PDF and browsing..

• andersanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No Text Reflow on my Samsung Ativ S GT-i8750.
        Had I known this before, I would never bought.
        Luckily I did not he sell my old Htc sensation xe!!

• kokoikokoi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still can't believe that IE10 has no auto text wrapping. It should be basic function for each browser in the mobile device.

• Android guyAndroid guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to clear things up, its the browser that has to allow it, not necessarily the phone, Firefox for Android lets you do it on any phone...

• JawJaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is basic stuff!
        Like having a homepage, a forward button & quickly accessible favourites.

Why does a Windows Phone cost sooo much when it is sooo unfinished?

Rather than waiting around for things that might or might never happen... The more I use Windows Phone 8 the more I think I was better off with Android.

• Yaniv CYaniv C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot stress HOW MUCH I AGREE!!
        I left WP due to lack of imperative apps and the fact the I had to go back and forth side to side while reading articles due to lack of text wrapping

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got a galaxy s4 - not text reflow in brower, my old htc desire was a much better browser experience.

Gutted - sending phone back.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base