Please enter your feature suggestion...

WP7.8 Device Backup

Having device backup in WP8 is great, but it isn't what we voted for. We want it in WP7.8, so that we can upgrade. The WP marketing talks about making a phone for people. Guess what - one of the main things people want is to keep their stuff when they upgrade. Who cares about a new start screen (although some people might, and we'll take it) - we want to move to a WP8 device and feel like it was worth being an early adopter, not that MS totally ignored the fact we've defended WP and used it; I personally have convinced a couple of guys in my office to get it, etc etc.

Seriously MS? Don't have some beancounter drive all your decisions, just because WP got quite big. You can't spend too much money on developing this platform. We are asking you to please make this happen.

687 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Robert GrantRobert Grant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) responded  · 

We are truly floored by the number of feature suggestions that we have received and the excitement about future Windows Phone releases. Some of you have been wondering, “Will Windows Phone 7.8 have the same features as in Windows Phone 8?” The answer, unfortunately, is no. Windows Phone 8 is a generation shift in technology, which means that it will not run on existing hardware. BUT we care deeply about our existing customers and want to keep their phones fresh, so we’re providing the new Start screen in the upcoming 7.8 update. We’ll have more to share on the Windows Phone 7.8 update in the coming weeks.

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hi!!Hi!! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SMS Back is Extremely Critical Sir... Now a days alerts for important commercial transactions are conveyed via SMS.
        Very important to have it stored somewhere should you lose it by mistake.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SMS backup is a must have feature. Microsoft please truly consider it, otherwise i cannot change to WP8

• Zwe31Zwe31 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Inability to backup in WP 7.8 is the main reason why I'm not upgrading to WP 8 yet. I need to have my SMS messages transferred to another phone and until then, I'll still use my HD7.

• Admin Is STUPID Admin Is STUPID commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admin The Fool says all the time : Mobile Guru(Admin, Windows Phone) responded

We are truly floored by the number of feature suggestions that we have received and the excitement about future Windows Phone releases. Some of you have been wondering, “Will Windows Phone 7.8 have the same features as in Windows Phone 8?” The answer, unfortunately, is no. Windows Phone 8 is a generation shift in technology, which means that it will not run on existing hardware. BUT we care deeply about our existing customers and want to keep their phones fresh, so we’re providing the new Start screen in the upcoming 7.8 update. We’ll have more to share on the Windows Phone 7.8 update in the coming weeks.

To stay in touch with Windows Phone announcements please read the Windows Phone blog: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/

Mobile Guru(Admin, Windows Phone) responded

To stay in touch with Windows Phone announcements please read the Windows Phone blog: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/

• Admin Is STUPID Admin Is STUPID commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admin The Fool says all the time : Mobile Guru(Admin, Windows Phone) responded

• Robert GrantRobert Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mobile Guru, whoever you are, the problem is that this site seems totally pointless. No doubt MS have a few excitable social media consultants who will get their bonuses by promoting this sort of thing, but ultimately you're not a company where a tech person will see an idea and say, "Yep, that should've been there from day one; we'll add it." This is always going to mean that you'll be worse than any actual engineering/tech-led software companies. Providing a new start screen is obviously nothing to do with backing up a device.

Just say to us, "Look, we don't actually care what you want, unless it's so trivial that a developer can do it in 15 minutes, and we will never admit a mistake, so users may as well just ignore this site and go somewhere where they'll be heard."

At least that'd be honest.

• O.SchuchO.Schuch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me it ist so important, if i could backup and restore my messages, i would buy a Windows Phone 8!

Also a possibility could be to backup Messages from WP7 and restore ist to WP8... That would be so great and i would buy a new Windows Phone 8 device... But when there will be no Message Backup Function, i will not buy any Windows Phone 8 device!

• Raju GrewalRaju Grewal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanna give following message to microsoft

Sir can you please fully unlock windows phone 7. I mean we can access system files, registry etc, Like we can do with our PC.

If you think that which users have buy your Windows Phone 7 with contract they can misuse it then Please left them and unlock that phone who has buy Windows Phone 7 without any contract and have factory unlock(Here factory unlock means that phone which can accept any SIM)

If you think that if you unlock Windows Phone 7 then which users don't have sufficient knowledge and by mistake they can corrupt/delete system files, In this case i wanna suggest you that you can make Windows Phone 7 fully unlock option, Means if any user want to unlock Windows Phone 7 then he/she can unlock it. :)

Sir/Ma'am some uses have buy Windows Phone 7 only then because they was thinking that in Windows Phone 7 they can access system files and can be able to modify their Windows Phone 7 according to their need and as they want, But you break our heart :(

You can think that if Windows Phone 7 will be fully unlock then some users can illegally copy applications from one Windows Phone 7 to another Windows Phone 7. But all will not do it. Some wanna use fully unlocked Windows Phone 7 for fun. Like me I wanna to do that things which I've done in my Windows 7, Like change icons, add more colors of tiles which are not available in list. Change search engine of internet explorer, etc.

Plz plz unlock it. it is not only my request, it is requested by millions of users. I hope you will think about it and take a decision in my favor. :)

Thank you.

• skin2kskin2k commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I change my Xbox I can copy my data and game saves ECT. WP 7.8 need this feature.

• RuslanRuslan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Please add an option to Restore to the different Windows Phone 8 device (at lease for some option that manufacture independent). Why not??

2) Store email account settings into the Backup. Some of us are use multiple email accounts on or phones.

Both functionalities will be a BIGEST time savers when people need to change their devices.

• CC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree. Nothing more frustrating than having to start from scratch with settings, etc. due to upgrade or even replacement-- especially when a simple backup option could have saved all that!

• Niavlys77Niavlys77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd have to agree with you Chris. It's absolutely ludicrous that Microsoft thinks WP7.x users will move to WP8 with such an awful upgrade path, just because we're on the WP platform already. It's like they just forgot about us. Not to mention the other huge letdowns like Xbox Music which is pretty much a beta program, which they replaced Zune with; also how they removed FM radio. It's beyond ridiculous.
        Love my Lumia 900, so I won't be upgrading until WP8 and MS gets their s**t together.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If MS wants to get users to adopt WP8, then a data migration path for 7.5 & 7.8 users is a must....When we (including myself) invest a lot of time and effort as well as information into a platform that has such a small market saturation, the least you can do is make it easier for us ot use, upgrade and then recommend to others they use Windows phone. Thats how you make sales, word of mouth. By providing a way to upgrade easily and with ALL data (incl sms, etc) then us 7.x users will make the move much faster and MS can get a real increase in user adoption. Until them, we will all keep using 7.8 and WONT upgrade to WP8 devices....

For a 'software' company, you'd think this would be easy...especially if they wrote the operating systems

I need to backup my two WP7.5 (soon to be WP7.8's) or I won't even think to eventually migrate to WP8. As all of my friends and acquaintances consider me to be the local technical guru, that means a whole eco-system of potential WP8 users will be lost because none of the million great guys at Microsoft could be bothered to write a snappy backup appy

• David RossDavid Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree completely, this feature would be a godsend for those thinking of upgrading. It would also be symbolic that MS supports their early adopter customers, something that they always did on the Windows side but seem to have forgotten with Windows Phone.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base