Please enter your feature suggestion...

Expand device backup scope on WP8

I recently purchased a Lumia 920 and was migrating from Lumia 710. I was floored to discover WP7 had no backup capability and had to redownload everything manually. WP8 took care of that (sort of) with its new backup capability so I can overlook this.

I had to return my 920 for another one to have support diagnose issue and was stunned how poor the backup/restore capability was for WP8. Yes, signing in with Microsoft automatically re-downloads your applications but all app data was lost. Another HUGE hole in this process is that the Live Tile layout wasn't backed up/restored!

A huge part of the experience is the customization of tiles and you guys aren't backing that up for the user? It's such a small effort that goes so far in the experience. I'm also a former iOS user so this particular experience was jarring and a disappointment.

Please, on the next update expand the backup to include:
Live Tile layout/customizations
Application data
Customized system settings (not sure if this carried over or not)

When I think phone backup I expect it to backup the entire phone, not just a hacky listing of applications to re-download. Windows (desktop) backups aren't just a listing of applications you have, it's a true backup. You can do the same here.

1,058 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jorge SegarraJorge Segarra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real big problem for me. I did the 8.1 preview update and because of a problem with the OS not connecting to the internet I had to hard reset. Yes i got all my apps back and sms'es but I have lost so much other info that I can't get back. If microsoft can't or wont make a better backup solution please open up some API so that third parties can create an application for that
        PLEASE !!!!!

• Niavlys77Niavlys77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A million times this!!

They went and closed the other suggestion for backup claiming it's "Completed" - but it's far from completed.

This better be coming with WP8.1!!

• BusterBuster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It´s no Backup, it´s a mess....
        Sorry Microsoft, but Firefox, Android and Apple can do this better.

This is my last Windows Phone

• Hrvoje PrgešaHrvoje Prgeša commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be happy with a possibility of using the current backup, bad as it is.
        Allow me to set up wifi and apn settings before signing in during setup!

Had I known I would have to do two device resets in the last two weeks and spend hours configuring the phone from scratch I would not have bought the wp8 phone!

Well, I spent about 2 hrs trying to verify that the backup was working under the naïve assumption that I could go to SkyDrive.com and find some indication there. Worse yet, under 'device settings' you will find an indication that "You don't have any devices that are backing up settings to SkyDrive". Confused? called T-Mobile, wp8 phone support and no one could tell me where the backups should be or whether the message was meaningful, in fact wp8 support said that the 'cloud' backup was not in Skydrive other than for pictures. Confused? You bet. My Compaq PDA CE version 5? backs up a full image to its own internal memory - and even after total power loss can restore itself.

I went long on MSFT because it looked like they meant business with this WP8 to the extent that they even socked it to desktop users...but now that I see that this problem has been there since the beginning - I just hope they get it out in the next release.
        And backing up to the cloud is not sufficient. Like previous comments - we need a local backup to sd.

• KrissrockKrissrock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's very annoying...you replace a phone, all the app data that you've saved/created over the months are stuck on that phone...really stupid. they need a full back up tool immediately.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Backup must pass standard disaster recovery tests.

1. Obtain a new phone of the same model/features. Backup the old phone. Power the old phone off. Turn on the new phone. Do a restore to the new phone. Power on the old phone and make sure that everything (home page, apps, data, favorites, selections, email, text, etc. is exactly the same on both phones.

2. Delete selected applications/data. Restore from full backup.

• Grégory MARTINGrégory MARTIN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should allow to save the phone to a computer, restore it even after changing the Microsoft account. Perso data & parameters & start screen

• OJOJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Microsoft.
        With every new phone we lose ALL our APP data.
        How stupid is this?
        The first iPhone was able to make a FULL backup.

• Guri LinusGuri Linus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You just lost a sale. A phone is the most accident prone device people have. I'm not going to buy a "smart" phone that won't let me migrate my data on OS upgrade. For me, this is the one deal killer with Windows phones.

• E_TE_T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, some developers integration game progress into their engine, but it would be so much better & easier for the OS to do this.

Just need to compress the registry & files in Isolated Storage.

During Restore & if no WiFi setup, just ask user if they want to restore (potentially huge data usage) or postpone till they have a WiFi connection.

I just migrated from a Lumia 920 to a Lumia 1020 & reinstalling 100+ apps is no joke!

• Frederik HostensFrederik Hostens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- only being able to restore back-up over mobile data connection is horrible, if it must be like this, then at least have it only for the basic account data, then allow us to immediately set-up wireless to download the remainder of the back-up. (I had to wait half a day before it finally managed to connect and download the back-up, and was charged €10 for mobile data usage).
        - where is the list of apps to download? All I can see on my phone after restore is 23 times "Downloading applica... Attention required. Tap here." and no more information or solution, not even which app it concerns, when tapping it...

• nananananananananananana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've only just discovered how incredibly bad the backup is on Windows Phone 8. It was a disaster in Windows Phone 7 and in Windows Phone 8 I saw the Backup SMS feature and thought things had been fixed.

Wrong. When I back something up, I expect to be able to retrieve it. I expect to be able to look at it. I expect it to be an actual back up so that if I or someone else accidentally deletes messages from my phone, there is a back up.

None of these are true and I will not recommend WP to ANYONE without this incredibly basic feature that even old phones have.

• Shawn NeaceShawn Neace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This keeps me from investing in 3rd party apps for Windows Phone... especially games... Knowing that if I reset or switch phones, even to another wp8 device, I lose all my progress. In the meantime, Apple's app store keeps getting more of my $$$ :(

I just bought a new Lumia with wp8 and I was hoping to make a full backup before I start scratching with pone, so I look at inet and come to this place.

So, no full backups? Please MS, this is something people need, it's not hard, and also allow to make full backups to a other places tan cloud.

• AmjadAmjad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised this is not in the top 10 most requested features. Full backup to cloud and PC is a necessity.

• MattmaticsMattmatics commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Application data backup particularly saved games is a necessity these days with more a more complicated games coming out. Backup to SkyDrive would seem to be sensible, please include this at least with Blue.

• fdkuyper@gmail.comfdkuyper@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It must be possible to restore a back up AFTER connecting to WiFi. Because as it is now, it is impossible to restore a back up in case you cannot connect to the Microsoft servers during initial setup. So if you are out of range of your own provider, like me at the moment on holidays, you CAN NOT restore your back up!
        Why does the option to restore only appear during initial setup anyway? Why is it not next to the option to restore to the original settings?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base