Please enter your feature suggestion...

Expand device backup scope on WP8

I recently purchased a Lumia 920 and was migrating from Lumia 710. I was floored to discover WP7 had no backup capability and had to redownload everything manually. WP8 took care of that (sort of) with its new backup capability so I can overlook this.

I had to return my 920 for another one to have support diagnose issue and was stunned how poor the backup/restore capability was for WP8. Yes, signing in with Microsoft automatically re-downloads your applications but all app data was lost. Another HUGE hole in this process is that the Live Tile layout wasn't backed up/restored!

A huge part of the experience is the customization of tiles and you guys aren't backing that up for the user? It's such a small effort that goes so far in the experience. I'm also a former iOS user so this particular experience was jarring and a disappointment.

Please, on the next update expand the backup to include:
Live Tile layout/customizations
Application data
Customized system settings (not sure if this carried over or not)

When I think phone backup I expect it to backup the entire phone, not just a hacky listing of applications to re-download. Windows (desktop) backups aren't just a listing of applications you have, it's a true backup. You can do the same here.

1,161 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jorge SegarraJorge Segarra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • doublejudoubleju commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

... and it should be not only possible to backup in the cloud. there should be a way to backit up on another device like a pc.

it would be nice to backit up like a device softwarepacket that can be loaded in the Flash. so that it is possible just to restore the mobile to it without any other activity.

• doublejudoubleju commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the backup should be a treally device backup, means it should be as before, including no preinstalled apps, backing up all the Settings, configurations, start Screen, configuration of Background processes, ...

• Matt WhitfieldMatt Whitfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really? I have to specifically target WP8.1 (which means using VS 2013 and buying a new R# license) just to enable backup? You could have easily included the isolated store available since WP7 in automatic backups.

As a company, you are really testing my patience. And I'm the only person I know of all my friends who uses WP. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm defending the right corner.

• Ben HBen H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bonus points if I can extract the device backup file with 7-zip, or explore the OneDrive-based backup through the OneDrive Web UI 

• Ben HBen H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s also possible to back up my whole iPhone to a file on my computer which includes all my free & paid apps, all data, everything. And I can restore it to a new phone if necessary. I wish I could do that with my Windows Phone. Or my Windows PC for that matter. The current backup story just isn’t complete enough. If an app gets delisted and I have to reset my phone, it’s gone forever 

• pyropow1109pyropow1109 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow a COMPLETE backup. I know 8.1 allows developers to enable the backup feature in their app but being at the mercy of the developer and whenever they update their app to enable this feature is ridiculous.

• MDMcAteeMDMcAtee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please folks,make this happen.

This is nothing but stupid pride not being like the other OS that is keeping this from happening.

You have had restore points in Window desktops before,no reason not to allow it on the phones

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my LAST POS windows phone as well, if you can't build a product any better than this in this day and age, then get out of the business!!! I can't back up my game data, are you kidding. Done with this ****, thanks for absolutely nothing MS. So glad I tried to support your **** offering in a phone.

This is a real big problem for me. I did the 8.1 preview update and because of a problem with the OS not connecting to the internet I had to hard reset. Yes i got all my apps back and sms'es but I have lost so much other info that I can't get back. If microsoft can't or wont make a better backup solution please open up some API so that third parties can create an application for that
        PLEASE !!!!!

• Niavlys77Niavlys77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A million times this!!

They went and closed the other suggestion for backup claiming it's "Completed" - but it's far from completed.

This better be coming with WP8.1!!

• BusterBuster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It´s no Backup, it´s a mess....
        Sorry Microsoft, but Firefox, Android and Apple can do this better.

This is my last Windows Phone

• Hrvoje PrgešaHrvoje Prgeša commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be happy with a possibility of using the current backup, bad as it is.
        Allow me to set up wifi and apn settings before signing in during setup!

Had I known I would have to do two device resets in the last two weeks and spend hours configuring the phone from scratch I would not have bought the wp8 phone!

Well, I spent about 2 hrs trying to verify that the backup was working under the naïve assumption that I could go to SkyDrive.com and find some indication there. Worse yet, under 'device settings' you will find an indication that "You don't have any devices that are backing up settings to SkyDrive". Confused? called T-Mobile, wp8 phone support and no one could tell me where the backups should be or whether the message was meaningful, in fact wp8 support said that the 'cloud' backup was not in Skydrive other than for pictures. Confused? You bet. My Compaq PDA CE version 5? backs up a full image to its own internal memory - and even after total power loss can restore itself.

I went long on MSFT because it looked like they meant business with this WP8 to the extent that they even socked it to desktop users...but now that I see that this problem has been there since the beginning - I just hope they get it out in the next release.
        And backing up to the cloud is not sufficient. Like previous comments - we need a local backup to sd.

• KrissrockKrissrock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's very annoying...you replace a phone, all the app data that you've saved/created over the months are stuck on that phone...really stupid. they need a full back up tool immediately.

• SjanSjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please write a program like MyMobileExplorer for WP8 - Thanks

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Backup must pass standard disaster recovery tests.

1. Obtain a new phone of the same model/features. Backup the old phone. Power the old phone off. Turn on the new phone. Do a restore to the new phone. Power on the old phone and make sure that everything (home page, apps, data, favorites, selections, email, text, etc. is exactly the same on both phones.

2. Delete selected applications/data. Restore from full backup.

• Grégory MARTINGrégory MARTIN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should allow to save the phone to a computer, restore it even after changing the Microsoft account. Perso data & parameters & start screen

• OJOJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Microsoft.
        With every new phone we lose ALL our APP data.
        How stupid is this?
        The first iPhone was able to make a FULL backup.

• Guri LinusGuri Linus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You just lost a sale. A phone is the most accident prone device people have. I'm not going to buy a "smart" phone that won't let me migrate my data on OS upgrade. For me, this is the one deal killer with Windows phones.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base