Please enter your feature suggestion...

Gives Windows Phone users a tool to clean up their phone

There are several problems due to the lack of file browser, or any cleaning tool for WP8.

I mean, for example, the "Other" section, visible in the storage settings, which doesn't stop growing, even if we uninstall apps.
It could be great if we could see what does it contains exactly, and delete some useless things (apps cache etc.)

Otherwise, a simple file browser could be interesting aswell.

12,596 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) responded  · 

This feature is now available in Windows Phone 8.

And as always, if you think this feature, or any other, needs improvement, be sure to create a new product suggestion so we can track it and other users can vote on your ideas. And while we can’t promise to ship every suggestion that gets submitted, we will be sure that our product development team receives your feedback. We’re always listening!

239 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • nandonando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem exactly here.
        This is seriously frustrating
        I have a Samsung ativ s whith wp 8.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great OS, but the file architecture is deeply and fundamentally flawed. Who thought it was a good idea to permanently store everything that came through the apps? The majority of the data on my phone is just useless app junk, now. And clearing the temporary files is not the problem, the temporary files that you're able to delete in the latest version are nothing compared to the group that shows up as "media and files." It's just "Other" files with a new heading.

Taking away user autonomy in deleting files is not a good solution to piracy, Windows. That's the only reason I could think of not to build in some kind of access to those files is if they were trying to prevent users from copying cached sound and video.

**** windows phone I'm going back to android ur surface windows computer suck so I should have known ur phones would suck *** to this phone us nothing but a pretty piece of **** my phone storage is filling up and I'm not even downloading **** FIX THIS **** OR IM GOING BACK TO ANDROID WHERE **** WORKS CORRECTLY UGGGGH

I have facing same issue in others pho used 3.1 gb memory so every time pho show message low space.please help out frm this type of problem

• Angry WP8 userAngry WP8 user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A way to correct this in my opinion would be allowing storage of apps on an SD card,(I payed half as much on my SD card as my phone and can't do more than store tons of media on it which take up nowhere near the amount of memory high quality games like Asphalt 8 take [2.2 GB,more than a quarter of internal memory]-almost useless)

• Angry WP8 userAngry WP8 user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Storage check does not have a considerable effect,it only clears about 50mb from my phone out of 2.29 GB of **** in the others folder for my BRAND NEW lumia 521,with every single update there is,neither does the 3rd part app,storage shrink work effectively

• AfrozAfroz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi to all

Just installed GDR3 preview on my Lumia 720. I noticed one annoying bug or feature(?). When you go to phone storage-> temporary files and try to delete them the operation takes considerable time and also not removing temp files. Tried to delete temporary files again and again tapping the screen. Pretty annoying! Is there any solution for this?

so far the best app in store is storage cleaner. i works on htc 8s and trying now on lumia. on htc i had 27mb free space. after clean its up to 1gb. developer says that it cleans "other" folder. so far it works somehow. microsoft shall promptly support users anyway.

• sunnysunny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHERE CAN WE FIND THE NEW FEATURE TO CLEAN THE 'OTHER' STORAGE ?
        YOU SAY IT IS AVAILABLE NOW, COULD YOU GIVE US A LINK TO THE APP IN WINDOWS PHONE MARKETPLACE, PLEASE ?!
        THANK YOU

• Alan BrittonAlan Britton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even though I have the latest updated software, there is still no way of clearing the "others" folder. Wish I'd stuck with my old Android phone.

• Binoj AntonyBinoj Antony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had to reset my Lumia 720 few weeks back, now yet again my 'others' memory has swelled to 400MB, (It was 1.9 GB when I reset it, thats 1/4 of the total memory!!)
        Admin, please tell us where 'this feature is now available in Windows Phone 8', my phone says it has the latest updates,??

• GhyathooGhyathoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Plz come on Microsoft
        give us file manager

the development update the only thing we have it now the cross

without file manager wp8 is useless

3rd party it's killing us as developers & programmers

give us something to help us

plz

• Sarah PohlSarah Pohl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Jan, I have exactly the same problem! The function is there but does nothing at all.

• stevensteven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well...in the GDR3 Update you are able to delete temporary files ...so I think it's solved...or not??

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base