Please enter your feature suggestion...

Support for full Bluetooth profiles - including accessories, keyboards, low energy

Windows Phone loses usability, market visibility and relevance, and falls behind competing products by not supporting the HID Bluetooth profile (and others) for actions such as hooking up Bluetooth accessories including game controllers, keyboards, and low energy accessories e.g. sport (Pebble). Full compatibility between WP8 and the massive Bluetooth ecosystem is important to

11,526 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MitchellMitchell shared a merged idea: Proper Bluetooth SPP support for Pebble Smartwatch and other accessories.  ·   · 
    Nicola DelfinoNicola Delfino shared a merged idea: bluetooth 4 and BLE support  ·   · 
    Leo PusateriLeo Pusateri shared a merged idea: Need HID Bluetooth profile for external Bluetooth Keyboards  ·   · 
    Jeremy BryantJeremy Bryant shared a merged idea: More Bluetooth Profiles (BIP, BPP, FTP, HID, SPP, rSAP, etc)  ·   · 
    Jonathon PeetJonathon Peet shared a merged idea: HID Bluetooth Keyboard Compatibility - LIKE EVERY OTHER PHONE!  ·   · 
    Christos GalousisChristos Galousis shared a merged idea: BlueTooth Printing  ·   · 

262 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need DUN protocol for my car-navi-live traffic connection.

I hoped that will be fixed in WP 8.1 and it is not. OMG

• MechanimorphMechanimorph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have Miracast capability in the Lumia 1520, now I want Bluetooth HID capability so I could potentially fire up an RDP session anywhere if I wanted to and use a kb&m to navigate while the phone is casting to my monitor.

• Dan_JTDan_JT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WP8 and WP8.1 supports smartwatches, but the background notifications SDK is only accessible to 'trusted partners' and not just any app due to security concerns.

Seems even the engineers at Pebble did not know this, as recently confirmed by a MSDN blog. To reiterate, WM 8/8.1 is FULLY compatible with smartwatches, the manufacturers just have to get MS's approval first.

• WevenhuisWevenhuis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this needs to be on windows phone. It's more ergonomical and productive input and well established method.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there going to be BT keyboard support in 8.1? Does anybody know? Like pretty much everyone of the 11,000 plus voters on this thread I was really disappointed to discover this glaring problem. Why offer a full Office package with no BT keyboard support. Was loving my new Nokia 625 until today, now thinking about taking it back or wishing I had stuck with Android.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding to the chorus...

Our company has a specific requirement for Bluetooth HID profile so we can use barcode scanners on WP8 devices. Since the device doesn't support Bluetooth keyboards, we are forced to go to iOS or Android.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its easy for me i wanted to buy a windows phone but since in 8.1 there is still no support for a keyboard and i really want to use my phone with a keyboard i will go with an android phone most likely.
        For me its the question if i am able to write my work down without a laptop or not its really a dealbreaker to be not able to write comfortably on my phone.

• Stephen WalshStephen Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had I realised Windows Phone lacked the capability to link to an external keyboard I would not have bought it. My wife who touch types at high speed and travels a lot won't make the same mistake.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Internet connection via Bluetooth (tethering) is needed for car-applications (live-traffic,...)!!!

• CrawfordCrawford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The crippled BT stack and especially the HID elements of it have led to my reluctant decision to move to Android for my next cell phone. I started with the Windows Mobile 6.X on a Motorola Q9c with a more robust BT stack than the current OS and the discovery of the crippled stack on my HTC Trophy was a major blow to anticipated efficiencies in using the Mobile Office applications. The continued failure of MS to address this issue baffles me except if it's related to reducing competition from cell phones relative to the Surface tablets - another topic entirely

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"$500, fully subsidized, with a plan! That is the most expensive phone in the world and it doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard, which makes it not a very good email machine." - Steve Ballmer MS.

That's ridiculous .. tons of users requesting Bluetooth hid Support and/or Hardware Keyboards with WP 7/8/8.1 and MS still does not move.... that' impressive...

• MikkoMikko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, and the Sim Access Profile! Would enable my car hands free to work again.

• GGGG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

let pebble and other wearable BT-devices work in background, "intercept" notifications

• Dave WDave W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've reluctantly abandoned Windows Phone after years of because there are no physical keyboard WP8 phones, or ability to pair a keyboard. I'd be back like a shot if they fixed one of these two things.

Typed from my Samsung Galaxy using a Bluetooth Keyboard.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/19234_Windows_Phone_81_receives_Blue.php

Dear Microsoft,

still no bluetooth hid in 8.1? That's it for us. As far as we need Bluetooth HID support for keyboards and other input devices in the near future , we will sell our windows phone devices an switch over to android. That´s very sad, wp 8 looked very promising... killed by bad product management...

• Robert S. WRightRobert S. WRight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, so after attempting to solve this problem I went online and see that it's not just me, its everyone!

I have a windows based phone mainly so I can travel without having to carry a laptop. I carry copies of all my active data files on my phone and often need to edit and work with them in the field. The inability to connect to my Bluetooth keyboard is a deal breaker. Had I discovered this before the "return without penalty" time period had elapsed on my phone I would have opted for another version.

So tell us MS, when will the fix for this be in. If never, just let us know and we'll decide to supplement our technology or replace it. I've been travelling with my old IPaq since I purchased the Samsun Ativ S windows phone, because it syncs with my keyboard and travels easily.

You understand . . . the deficit is so significant I've dusted off my IPaq!!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base