Please enter your feature suggestion...

Enable editing of an Office document that contains macros

If an office document (i.e. a spreadsheet) contains macros the document is read-only on the device. This precludes scenarios such as data collection where a spreadsheet is primarily used to collect data but may contain macros that are used on the desktop version of Office to clean the data after collection.

Suggestion 1: The document should be editable but not destroy the macros as changes are persisted. The macros themselves would be blocked akin to the desktop application using default security.

Suggestion2: When a document containing macros is enabled for editing but the macros are blocked display a message to the user indicating the blocking of the macros (similar to the desktop version). This would be helpful for scenarios where the document contains "autoexec" macros that do not run because macros are not supported. This would help the user understand why the experience is not the same as when the same document is used on the desktop.

19 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Just WorksJust Works shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • cheongcheong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In desktop version of office, we can have documents editable even if the document has macro disabled. Why could we treat macros as "always disabled" when open them in Office for WinPhone?

Feedback and Knowledge Base