Please enter your feature suggestion...

Capacitive Buttons Redefined

In the spirit of Metro experience across MSFT devices (PC, tablet, TV, phone), we need to bring a tighter Windows 8 experience to WP by using the capacitive buttons as "Charm bar"

Currently we have short press and long press for the capacitive buttons.
I suggest we add swipe up to the screen gesture starting from the buttons to "open" a window. For example:

- Windows button + swipe up opens up Notification center. Accessible anywhere in the phone and really flows with the smoothness of Metro UI
- Back button + swipe up opens app switch window. Using long press for me breaks the flow of smooth UI navigation
- Search button + up opens Bing search

Of course we need to change the existing functions:

- Short press on Windows button: ... OK no change here
- Back button press: same function but NEVER use this to close an app. Let app switch do the deed
- Search button is for contextual search (open a small search bar without leaving the currently opened app, good solution for accidental Bing we have now)
These short presses can change their functions when in Game mode

The rest:

- Long press on back button brings you to the main page of the app. As a 7.8 user I need this feature as there is no way to get into the main page of the app if you get into the app from the toast bar or deep linking. Not sure if WP8 fixed this already.
- Long press on search button opens Tell Me
- Long press on Windows button for getting out from the Game mode and to the Start screen.

Please make this into consideration. Thank you for listening.

346 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RockmanNeoRockmanNeo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RockmanNeoRockmanNeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of my suggestions seem to be coming to WP8.1. Keep spreading the words for visibility guys!

• 刘志锐刘志锐 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

关于WP8.1手机返回键取消的消息,让我为微软便携电子产品感到震惊和担忧,微软对人才的重视这不奇怪,但是首先从WP系统诞生开始就没有很好的开场,及重视客户的体验!而且显得特别仓促!不管是更新换代还是升级做得相当欠佳,产品出来及后续的服务支持致关重要,以及应用。而WP7,芒果的更新限制,导致相当一部分手机支持者丧失信心!而今WP8微软支持者我经过几月的使用对比发现核心功能严重不足,系统封闭对于安全来说很不错,但连起码文件格式都不能识别和浏览,更别说文件管理了!难道WP以后做游戏娱乐化,不用再拿WP处理文件和办公了!我知道微软想自己的产品覆盖面广,但我怎么看怎么用都觉得这些玩意不伦不类,文不全,武也不类!摄影连对焦、放大功能都不具备,第三方文件管理得把以前所有文件后缀名添加字母,然后才能在手机上识别出来,试问那我要是再拿到电脑,平板,别的系统如何使用,如果我有几千个文件试问那我要改到什么时候!为什么自己没有资源管理器?!一个文本记事,长文本还不能上下浏览!那么为什么你们就不能真心吸收一下客户的意见和建议呢?难道都是不怀好意?那么你们就一直打算按照自己的方式、思维、习惯统一或分割市场?我真心说下我的使用看法:从WM6.0、6.1、6.5,我一直都觉得它很中儒,也很切实,但如今我发现微软能有WP这么肤浅的产品叫人六神无主!无非就是添加点花销元素,比起前辈产品功能严重不足,更别说安卓苹果!我真不知微软人都是怎么想的!如果你们一味的违背客户的意愿,和顾客的意见,那么结果显而易然!就如同你们硬生生的拆掉多年与顾客群搭起的桥梁!!!如果你们认为那是你们的机密,那好吧!等到它尘封那时再谈吧!
        写于2013.10.14中国深圳,刘志锐,手机15622899420(请先信息)

• Klas LiljaKlas Lilja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The multitask experience MUST change. I hate to long press and wait (what it feels like) 5 minutes before you can copy a bit of text from IE and then wait another 5 minutes to get back to office to paste it... Really hate that. And the UI dosen't have the same feeling as the rest of the OS. It feels like you just put it in there over a coffee break.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

excellent ideas all through... but we need a notification center... I like how BB10 does it, or even the lockscreen style of iOS6

• OmarOmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really nice idea , it will be cool if the used it , but the most important thing is to bring the notification center first :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base