Please enter your feature suggestion...

Animated GIF files support

There are a lot of animated GIF files that show up on popular websites such as tumblr. They work perfectly when viewing in the web browser, but once downloaded (or viewed on skydrive), WP8's photo viewer will only show the first frame.

I never understood this: it works perfectly fine in the web browser, but once offline it's worthless. Same with Windows Photo Viewer on the desktop and the Photo app on Windows 8.

Animated GIFs are very popular and a big part of the photo-sharing experience nowadays, so solid support for being able to download GIFs like any other image, view them fully animated in the native photo viewer, and share them is vital for a full smartphone experience, especially since this is such a basic thing we've had for so long.

3,312 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    OliverOliver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

53 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DeanDean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm Glad I saw this, I was considering getting a windows phone but it seems like a lot of the people are complaining about not having basic features...never mind

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ahhh.... Here's another request it looks like people have asked for once again, and since Windows Phone 7, and still has never been implemented. How does Microsoft intend on getting more than 2 percent market share when you can't even support something as simple as animated GIF viewing. You can't keep overlooking these small things, that's why Android and iOS is dominating the market, the actually pay attention to some of the small, mundane requests.... 3000 people cry out for Cortana, something WAY complicated... Ok we're right on that..... 3000 ask for animated GIF support.... And Microsoft looks at us like a deer in headlights and conveniently ignores the request.... Nice. With that kind of community support you deserve only 2.5 percent market share. By the way, when was the last time ANY of these request were marked complete? Me thinks its been a while.....

• FLCFLC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is basic function like windows desktop, but ms no do it.

• noël cainnoël cain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides overall OS support, for me the MOST IMPORTANT aspect is to be able to send and receive a GIF in SMS texts, currently in SMS we can send pictures, video, our location, voice note, ringtones and contacts, we need GIFs supported in photo album as well as sharing support in web browser so that when we choose PHOTO in sending a text message or choosing to SHARE from web browser we can select the GIF we choose and properly send and receive them of course back in SMS, viewable and live

• MarlonMarlon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just another small feature that is ignored and overlooked. it's not like it's some type of new technology, other phones have had this feature for ages. Microsoft should force all their employees to use their phones. I'm sure they would have a lot more complaints internally that way.

Omg you are right! You are absolutely right! Everyone keep voting we need this back on our windows phones!

• SurendraSurendra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

another simple thing just ignored by WP OS developers.
        looks like they are really not using WP otherwise would have known what is needed and what not :P

Besides overall OS support, for me the MOST IMPORTANT aspect is to be able to send and receive a GIF in SMS texts, currently in SMS we can send pictures, video, our location, voice note, ringtones and contacts, we need GIFs supported in photo album as well as sharing support in web browser so that when we choose PHOTO in sending a text message or choosing to SHARE from web browser we can select the GIF we choose and properly send and receive them of course back in SMS, viewable and live

During the holidays I can longer send Halloween thanksgiving or Christmas SMS GIF cards to my friends via SMS because the GIFs are not support in windows phone, furthermore I cannot receive GIFs and I cannot view the in photo album, this is one most the most simple functionalities of a smartphone that we do not have! I am still in shock 4 years later and this has not been addressed so please people if its as important to you as it is to me keep voting thanks!

Please everyone read the post and comments and get your votes in we need this functionality back so we can equally communicate and have photo parity with our iOS and Android friends

I wish they would include this in the 8.1 update it blows my mind that they are still not addressing this

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base