Please enter your feature suggestion...

Restore Messaging app functionality and Facebook integration

In Windows Phone 8.1, the Messaging app loses its Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/Skype integration. Instead you are forced to use separate apps for each thing you want to do. I would like the integration restored. That is a major reason I bought Windows Phone - its integration so you don't need the 'whack-a-mole' solution of iOS. Why buy Windows Phone if you're going to try to slowly morph into iOS?

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-8s-me-tile-functionality-has-been-changed-in-windows-phone-8-1/

Please restore the Messaging integration!

8,946 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JJohnson1701JJohnson1701 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    zodyloganzodylogan shared a merged idea: Don't Remove Facebook Integration  ·   · 
    Lasse NistedLasse Nisted shared a merged idea: Facebook integration with people hub should not act as a 3rd party app  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) responded  · 

We know that there is real passion around our social integration model, but there was a lot of frustration with its limitations as well. In Windows Phone 8.1, we moved to an app-powered model so that all of the latest features were available, even though it meant that some features, like messaging integration, were no longer supported. Check out Joe Belfiore’s response to this and more on Reddit AMA below. We will continue to innovate in this area, so please keep the suggestions coming

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/24jtcy/hi_im_joe_belfiore_from_the_windows_phone_team_ama/ch7vrir

315 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • UservoiceUservoice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with what you have done with the notification center, theme. except facebook integration. This is very annoying. why buy a windows phone if android apps better on facebook. you have the advantages of android but you delete it. It's appeal of windows phone, not the app.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually you removed part of the integration that made it work but left the links to it like in people and myself. Very **** annoying. I only bought this Nokia for social integration. Very annoyed and left with essentially a brick. How do I go about getting my money back? If I wanted separate apps for everything I would have stayed with Android. Maybe I can revert back to a version of windows phone that has the integration back and working?

• Daniel Tamayo S.Daniel Tamayo S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore the Messaging integration!
        And the another features of the integration.
        Sin estas características, prefiero no tener FB en mi celular.

• anneanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I WANT IT BAAACK! i bought this stupid Handy just for this reason and now its gone. The social integration model was the Best! And there werd never problems! I regret to upload to 8.1. This is real ****. Thanx dear now-totally-stupid-and-shitlike-windows-phone-team

• ItaloItalo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The integration really had some limitations. But Microsoft could not work to get around them? The fact is that the model used by Microsoft today with a third party app does not work well. Why Skype can not be used as a medium term integration for messages. Skype could work better in WP, He is very neglected.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can say that some people were frustrated, but that's why you have operating system updates.

You say that you moved to an app-powered model so the latest features would be available, but that hasn't happened and likely won't for several years.

More people are angry about the exclusion than were about lack of features. The solution here is to do a mea culpa, restore everything you messed up in 8.1 (here's a list: http://wp.me/p1fLW2-8L) and then do the work of adding those features in to the integration yourself, and commit to updates at least 3-4 times a year to add new features to social integration. That way you satisfy both sides.

But what you did by gutting the social integration means you have a lot of users now looking to move to Android or iPhone because you just tore out the entire heart of Windows Phone - the social integration and the hubs. Without those, there is no point in having a Windows Phone. No advantage over iPhone/Android. There's no huge differentiator.

• Jason Dias-PatelJason Dias-Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, support group chats in the messaging hub as this never was supported even when facebook was integrated.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the major feature why I switched to WF... It is just a huge disappointment that it is being removed in the latest update... Regretting it so much...

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The response from Microsoft doesn't make sense. The people who didn't like the social integration could use apps instead. I think most people would rather have some functionality available rather than none at all.
        I've showed off the integrated messaging to Android users and they've been impressed. Removing this is removing a major selling point.
        Honestly, Windows 8 got me to switch from Android to WP, but 8.1 may cause me to switch back.

• deandean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really miss this, the one main feature that set you apart from all the rest and you changed it and made it worse!! BRING IT BACK ------ BRING IT BACK ----- BRING IT BACK

• EnvyDeanoEnvyDeano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was one of the best featurs on the Windows phone and you removed it! For god sake bring it back!! Why have multi apps to read your messages..... its so much easier to have them all in one place. Really wish I had not downlaoded the latest update!

• PhilPhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm echoing a lot of people here... I don't want to use a separate clunky fb app to message people! I spend most of my day in a low data area, where it's impossible to use the fb app properly - if you're lucky it loads at all! I installed 8.1 with no idea this integration was going to be lost... Great to tell everyone about the fantastic new bits (and yes, having more icons and swipe to type and *eventually* Cortana in the UK is great!!) but I actually would swap back to my old 8.0 for the message integration. It wasn't broken, why did you fix it? :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The integration was the main reason I kept my windows phone. Now that the integration is gone I'm not really sure what the point is of having a windows phone. It doesn't really have any special features left anymore that android and ios already have and are doing better anyway

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's "passion" because that's the point of Windows Phone - INTEGRATION. The FB app is a horrible waste of time, and half the time can't retrieve data. The integrated aspect of the OS worked at least 95-98% of the time.

The only innovation I want from Microsoft is to restore this and everything else you broke in Windows Phone 8.1 (http://wp.me/p1fLW2-8L). Do that, and I stay with the OS. Don't and I will leave for Android.

• xixixaoxixixao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the update, but this REALLY sucks. Any time I show off Windows Phone to someone, this is the FIRST feature I speak about.

• Jason MaedlJason Maedl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Switching to app-centric model is the biggest mistake of all time. People switched to Windows Phone because it was NOT app-centric. Others started copying Microsoft and not you are copying them? Ridiculous. Ddid you even do any focus groups or anything about this?? These kinds of changes will end up killing WP altogether because it will become just another app platform, except with less apps than everyone else. At the beginning, no one even needed apps to use the phone and that was OK because it worked with everything. Now, just like iOS and Android, we depend on them. You had control over your whole platform and now you release that into the hands of devs? Who cares about the people who complained about missing features - let THEM download the apps, not those of us who only need the basics. You went from something people were complaining about being limited to removing it entirely??? Ludicrous. I convinced my wife and others to switch based on the "smoke" campaign features, and now they are all gone. Also, ironic isn't it, that as I type this, above the box there is a "Like" button, and below it I have the option of signing in with Google and Facebook. Get your stuff together MSFT.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base