Enable a way to backup a Windows Phone, including SMS/MMS and applications and settings
Auto full backup of entire phone state to SkyDrive with the option to set via WiFi only.
This is a major issue that has persisted unaddressed since the release of WindowsPhone in November 2010. Microsoft has indeed demonstrated strong developer support with outstanding tools and even catering to SmartPhone-aware users by including features that many come to expect such as Copy-Paste in the “NoDo” update.
Unfortunately, addressing the question of backup and restore has never been given priority.
For the "Mango" release users were led to believe that there was some form of backup and restore functionality on the way; however after attempting this manually most users realized that a backup would only be performed when an update was made available. These updates are too far apart to justify the rationale for not allowing for more frequent backups.
Whether a transfer for restore is needed to be performed, every bit of data should be backed up.
This data would include:
- System settings (lock screen & wallpaper, theme, wifi, ringtones, etc.)
- App settings
- App data (local storage and game saves)
- App manifest and app installs (Marketplace)
- Contacts via People Hub
- Call history
- Messaging history (text threads, online chat, etc.)
- Photos and videos
None of the above information is device specific; and in the case of different platform versions, data such as apps would be re-installed, as opposed to just copied back over.
With that said, obviously the functionality does indeed exist, as demonstrated in backups created when an update is available. The question comes down to why this functionality isn't more readily available.
One usability concern would be whether or not the backup and restore functionality should in fact be manual or automatic. This could be a user preference that puts some responsibility on the user to either allow for automatic backups performed when connected to Zune or manual by clicking a "backup" button. In either case "checkpoints" would be created (similar to Windows System Restore Points).
For "Mango" there were also hints that a cloud-based backup solution would be made available; however at this time the only thing that gets restored from the cloud – via Live – is your contact and calendar information. A cloud-based backup and restore solution is welcome however a local solution via Zune should also be present (and again is demonstrated to work in updates).
This is an unacceptable amount of steps needed for the transfer user experience; and there are similar concerns that have been lingering when it comes to backup and restore functionality.
What is being expected of the user is to remember or otherwise personally keep track of several locations that different portions of device state and data may be located; and then the user is required to perform a series of complex steps to get the device in a state that isn’t even close to the original expected configuration. This is punishing the user and does not provide peace of mind to the user; nor does it entice a user to try a new device. Lastly, it leaves the user helpless in the event that a disaster occurs with their WindowsPhone device.
Regardless of the fact that there are different hardware configurations in the different flavors of devices available, one thing remains true: there is only one platform. This is different from the segmented Android market; however it is more of a hybrid situation compared to iOS (many more devices yet still a unified platform). Because there is only one platform it shouldn’t matter what WindowsPhone device a user has.
This isn't an anti-Microsoft or pro-competitor rant, but a plea to prioritize features vs. required functionality that should represent the core of the WindowsPhone platform.
PLEASE develop a feature that facilitates a true 100% backup/restore of EVERYTHING on the Windows Phone 7 (i.e., text message threads, configuration settings, apps)
Backup of all content of phone to allow user to restore on to new device purchased or replacement device
to live.com account / cloud
This feature is now available in Windows Phone 8.
The syncing/backup should be more like the old Windows Sync that they had for Windows Mobile 6 and 6.5. You had the option of backing up all phone info online, all your SMS/Text messages, pictures messages, photos, contacts etc. etc. Able to view them, make changes when required etc etc. This is something that should be brought back for Windows Phone 7 and 8. This linked together with the syncing that is now with added extra features like photo editor would be amazing.
@Anonymous : Actually when syncing with live, you don't need a restore function for your contacts. Please, sync your contacts with your live account, then reset your phone. After that connect your phone back to your live account, and you will see that all contacts on live will be automaticly synced with your phone again. That's how "syncing" works. But still, there is no option for backup/restore locally, and THAT's what we have all been missing here.
create a software to backup // restore to same phone or new phone.
• this will definitely be a PLUS!
it is really stupid that a smart phone can not do backup and restore. Even more stupid is there is backup but no restore. All contacts are uploaded to contacts.live.com, but there is no way to retrive back.
Michał Pietrzyk commented
Absosutely agreed. Best suggestion I've seen here so far.
Create an APP to take a snapshots of the screen
MS is like a communist state. They control everything and if they can make things complicated why provide an easy way.
Backup and restore to SkyDrive is a must!
Similar to Iphone and ICloud
In addition, the Camera roll sync to SkyDrive has to include video and be in full res!
Shaishav Merchant commented
Absolutely must, it was such a pain, when i migrated from HD7 to Lumia 900. it should be similar to iPhone, just backup and restore.
Back up all apps, settings and data to SkyDrive so changing to a new phone is easy.
Please enable the transfer of simple user files like those from Office Hub, Adobe, Notes and lists.
Then, please add a recorder application and improve recording mic... One that comes with the OS not third party.. We shouldn't as users be too dependent on third party apps for such features when our OS manufacturers can do it for us..
Rodrigo Amorim commented
Please enter the full backup (sms, applications, settings ...) and not the current backup zune (ROM only)
Emerson Rezende commented
1. No true multitasking for 3rd party apps – they re frozen in the background.
2. No Divx/Xvid video codec support. Zune will convert with loss of quality.
3. No mass storage mode.
4. No micro-SD card support.
5. Only support up to 16GB storage.
6. No filemanager. Directory system is totally opaque.
7. Need Zune to transfer files. Zune will only transfer photos, videos & music. All other files need to email/upload to yourself.
8. Your contact details are automatically uploaded to cloud service whether you like it or not.
9. Limited to 800×480 resolution.
10. Voice search is hardwired to Bing.
11. Cannot use any MP3 file as ringtone except those with strict constraints.
12. Cannot set static IP address so no connection to ad-hoc networks.
13. No VPN support for this “corporate enterprise” phone.
14. Cannot sync directly with Outlook without syncing to Cloud
15. Totally closed OS, cannot sideload apps outside MS Marketplace.
16. System font size cannot be changed.
17. Images and photos cannot be renamed in the phone.
18. Windows Live ID account cannot change country once set.
19. No centralized notification page
20. Alarm clock cannot work when phone is turned off. All Nokia Symbian and Meego phones can do this.
21. The idle screen is completely blank and cannot display time or notifications.
22. Only photos allowed as email attachments, documents not allowed.
23. Bluetooth does not have rSAP protocol which is the most common protocol for car audio streaming.
24. Cannot stream audio from video to Bluetooth devices (No A2DP).
25. No support for full on-device encryption required for secure applications like mobile banking and online payment.
26. Cannot use Bluetooth keyboard.
27. Cannot silence ringtone or alarm by flipping the phone.
28. Very limited customization option.
29. Cannot be upgraded to WP8 (Apollo)
30. No always visible status bar for battery life, signal strength, carrier, 2G/3G wi-fi, Bluetooth on.
31. Taskmanager has no option to shut down apps you don’t want running in the background.
32. Search and Back button cannot be de-activated in apps or games and easily touched by accident which interrupt your user experience.
33. Lockscreen need to be activated to show missed call/sms notification.
34. No way to close an app except pressing back button all the way to the first screen.
35. Tiny fonts in messages is very hard to read for those over 45.
36. Cannot create and save playlists on the phone.
37. Playlist can only be edited when you are playing it.
38. Cannot search your music collection on the phone, only in the Marketplace.
39. Cannot close music player, can only pause. Music player on lockscreen will stay until you reboot. Be careful not to touch it in a meeting.
40. No draggable progress bar for current track playing and no indication which track in an album is currently playing
41. Cannot lock screen orientation.
42. Online and phone contacts are mixed together with no ability to filter.
43. Cumbersome dialing with no smartdial. Not able to enter alphabets into dialler for name lookup.
44. Cannot save draft sms messages.
45. Call history only show phone number type. If a contact has multiple phone nos. for a type the number used is unknown.
46. Cannot recognize phone numbers in sms or email to save or use as calling number.
47. Text messages can only be deleted one by one or the whole thread.
48. Cannot select multiple pictures for deleting, sending or uploading. They must be done one at a time.
49. Clicking on the Me Tile doesn’t take you directly to your notifications it takes you to your profile, a serious usability blunder
50. Apps are listed alphabetically with no way to group by category. Can be hard to find if you don’t remember the name.
51. Calendar scheduler has no weekly view and monthly view is non-zoomable.
52. No peak time/off-peak time scheduling for email downloads to prevent unnecessary email downloads at overnight.
53. If both wi-fi and data connection are available which one it chooses to use is unpredictable. User experiences don’t agree with Microsoft that it “typically” choose wi-fi over 3G.
54. No video call.
55. No haptic feedback for keyboard.
56. No call recording or app to do it.
57. No call blocking or app to do it.
58. No screenshots or app to do it.
59. No auto wallpaper changer and no app to do it.
60. Totally locked down os means apps which interact directly with hardware not allowed. This excludes a whole range of useful apps
61. No equalizer for Zune music player.
62. FM radio doesn’t work on speaker.
63. IE browser has no text reflow, no download capability and no offline reading.
64. Volume up/down buttons cannot be used to zoom in camera (sign of an immature os)
65. Cannot open zip or rar files received as email attachment.
66. Cannot send or receive video by MMS.
67. Email time stamp does not show the year.
68. Wide difference in apps availability in different markets and users locked to one market.
69. Not all Bing features available outside U.S. especially Local Scout
76. One volume control for all functions including media playback, ringtones, alarms, notifications.
77. Wi-fi disconnects when screen sleeps.
78. If you receive a text message when talking on the phone an audio alert will blast your ear at the full volume set. All other phones will give a soft beep.
79. Can only enter one mobile phone no. for each contact. Mobile nos. entered in other fields will not accept sms.
80. Cannot send/receive MMS without enabling 3G data connection. MMS does not use 3G data.
81. Phone cannot be charged when off.
82. Need to be plugged in to wall charger to sync wirelessly (a funny definition of wireless).
83. Oversized fonts for headings waste screen space and result in low information density
84. Phone will wake up and display sms content on lockscreen when locked – a privacy violation.
85. Phone can be rebooted without entering security code.
86. No bluetooth file transfer.
87. Cannot handle USSD codes necessary for prepaid users to obtain services.
88. Cannot filter call history into Missed Calls, Received Calls, Dialled Calls, Recent Calls, etc
89. No way to backup or export call history
90. Cannot show call duration in call history.
91. No way to edit MMS profile to work with a carrier in the OS. Need an app which is not available in all markets.
92. Call history does not group calls by contact.
93. Call history does not show the time of call for calls older than current day.
94. Cannot set custom sounds for different types of notifications.
95. No ringer profiles.
96. No silent option (no vibrate and no ring) from ringer menu. Need a trip to settings and another trip to revert.
97. Cannot send/receive contact as a csv file.
98. Cannot backup sms to PC.
99. Cannot save contact to SIM card.
100. Cannot change alarm ring tone or use a MP3 file.
101. Cannot set alarm snooze interval.
102. Unable to read long names in audio and video playlist as they get cut off
103. Zune does not allow user to add or update podcasts directly from the phone
104. Zune can only be installed if you have an internet connection
105. Alarm does not revert to speaker if headphones are plugged in.
106. Forwarded emails cannot be edited
107. OS does not reduce volume of text message alerts when using headphones
108. All photos automatically upload to Skydrive have resolution reduced (no option) and lose their EXIF information
109. Wifi- hotspot and internet tethering not integral features in the OS but need to be provided by manufacturer on a case by case basis.
110. Internet Explorer has no Forward/Backward button for page views.
Bought an iPhone4 as a second phone but using its more like my first device, because my Omnia7 is not upto scratch. So many features missing. Changed the iPhone4 a few times, gave mine to brother, was so easy to backup n restore my entire phone from old i4 to new i4. Surely MS will give this priority and enable it. I don't want to lose my SMS, otherwise I may be forced to turn my back on WP, with better iOS support, it won't be that difficult.
So get your act together MS, stop playing catchup, bring these basic essencial features asap. Thanks.
How annoying that SMS messages are not backed up, but photos, and music are.
Richard Nalezynski commented
This is interesting...
Cloud services for Windows 8 and Windows Phone: Windows Live, reimagined(From the Building Windows 8 Blog):
Watch the video. From 0:35 to 0:52 we are introduced to a cloud-based capability for Windows 8 that allows the user to sync their settings.
All of what seems to be emphasized is cloud-based storage of email, contacts and calendars - a given, really - along with storage via SkyDrive. It appears that you'd have to pro-actively store certain bits of information. Messaging info via text seems to be missing altogether; and and device/OS settings is only on Windows 8.
Things like App Settings are not mentioned at all.
The cloud-based features are exciting and seem to bring things further along with Windows 8. We can only hope that similar features will be made available for WindowsPhone... even if it's a couple years after its launch.