Please enter your feature suggestion...

Send/receive text messages from Outlook

In WIndows Mobile 6.5, with Exchange 2010, we could send/receive text messages directly from Outlook on our computer. Bring back pls! http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/send-and-receive-text-messages-sms-HA101823438.aspx

1,348 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    tom mtom m shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    SYNENGIUMSYNENGIUM shared a merged idea: SMS Outlook  ·   · 

92 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KBurgoyneKBurgoyne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MSFT: As a business user I organize much of my "to do" list around Outlook. Things I need to do are often triggered by email messages in Outlook, so I keep them in my inbox until I've dealt with them.

SMS is breaking down this very efficient approach to staying organized. This is where the "mindset" needs to be for MSFT thinking about managing SMS. Getting the SMS messages integrated into the Outlook inbox/send folder while still retaining their identity as having transported over SMS.

Outlook/Exchange do not necessarily have to directly interface with the SMS networks and perhaps shouldn't in order to retain property identity on the messages.

Writing an SMS message under desktop/modern Outlook and "sending" it could mean triggering a mechanism whereby the message is sync'd to the phone and the phone sends it. Going through an attached Live (or EAS account) would be pretty quick.

Receiving SMS into desktop/modern Outlook could be the reverse. The phone receives it, routes it to an EAS account, desktop/modern Outlook picks it up from the EAS account. This all might be transparent to the EAS servers if there was an indicator in the email header tagging the message as having been originally transported via SMS, and thus replies to it should use the reverse path.

Ultimately MSFT needs to establish a standard for merging SMS and email together. Something in the "email" address should signal SMS transport without needing to rely upon carrier email-SMS systems. In fact the normal SMS transport mechanism (via the person's phone) needs to be "required" as an inhibiter to spam.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to use use apps like MightyText because of an API which doesn't allow it ..

• bluemambobluemambo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think i will bought a phone with another operating system. Just now i use nokia Pureview 808 best phone but to slow.
        There is all functionality on board, nokia has had the longest experience, what the customer needs.
        Please bring back the feature and a windows phone is interesting, maybe Lumia 1020.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please as this is the only thing that I don't like about my windows phone

• kevinkevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!! The only reason I haven't switched to Win Phone is this. I can't use stupid touch keyboards worth a darn.

• Toa Of JusticeToa Of Justice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found out recently that most US-based carriers have email-to-SMS support. For example, if you wanted to text an AT&T customer from Outlook, use the format "1234567890[AT]txt.att.net" (no quotes, [AT] = @, 1234567890 is a stand-in for the phone number).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Sir, Please provide the facility nokia ovi software for nokia lumia. It is very useful.

• BarotropicBarotropic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto! I recently switched from Android to WP, finding everything I really need in the WP store, with one glaring exception: MightyText (or something equivalent). I use a PC and tablets much more than my phone, and love conversing in a text conversation from a large screen.

• Greg AniolGreg Aniol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. So this another reason to make me confident there is one real business oriented phone - BlackBerry. Especially after recent Blend release. However I really thought Microsoft will well compete having own operating system for decades. So Nokia heritage vanishing, WP 8.1 still lacking core (from my point of view) futures. This against ios or Android - I know market votes. But it's hard to find out why. I am scrapping my lumia

• Amjad.Amjad. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not just SMS sending from Outlook, I should be able to send SMS from my PC by default. Otherwise what sort of integration are we talking about. Windows Phone should be FULLY accessible from a Windows PC including the dialer, messages, contacts, settings, home screen to say the least. Its a pity to see we cannot send an SMS from a PC in 2014! I wonder what MS Phone developers do whole day?

• AdrienAdrien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a shame we can't use something like MightyText because of an API which doesn't allow it ..

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base