Please enter your feature suggestion...

Support for full Bluetooth profiles - including accessories, keyboards, low energy

Windows Phone loses usability, market visibility and relevance, and falls behind competing products by not supporting the HID Bluetooth profile (and others) for actions such as hooking up Bluetooth accessories including game controllers, keyboards, and low energy accessories e.g. sport (Pebble). Full compatibility between WP8 and the massive Bluetooth ecosystem is important to

17,078 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MitchellMitchell shared a merged idea: Proper Bluetooth SPP support for Pebble Smartwatch and other accessories.  ·   · 
    Nicola DelfinoNicola Delfino shared a merged idea: bluetooth 4 and BLE support  ·   · 
    Leo PusateriLeo Pusateri shared a merged idea: Need HID Bluetooth profile for external Bluetooth Keyboards  ·   · 
    Jeremy BryantJeremy Bryant shared a merged idea: More Bluetooth Profiles (BIP, BPP, FTP, HID, SPP, rSAP, etc)  ·   · 
    Jonathon PeetJonathon Peet shared a merged idea: HID Bluetooth Keyboard Compatibility - LIKE EVERY OTHER PHONE!  ·   · 
    Christos GalousisChristos Galousis shared a merged idea: BlueTooth Printing  ·   · 

413 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dimitris RizopoulosDimitris Rizopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok guys, it is now possible. You have to upgrade to 8.1 update 2 via the windows insider app. It works just fine on my Lumia 1020 with my good old Thinkoutside stowaway BT keyboard!

In Win10, more profiles are supported. You can also use a BT mouse. Unless you have a phone to make tests, I suggest you do not upgrade your regular phone to Win10.

If you can't wait until Win10 is released, use the Windows insider app to upgrade to 8.1U2 and stop there. But you have to be careful, you have to follow the guidelines on the net on how to stop to Win8.1U2, otherwise you will end up with the Win10 beta. You have been warned, it's tricky...

BT keyboard operation in Win8.1U2 reminded me the hardware keyboard operation of my Dell Venue Pro phone, back in 2011. This means, no language switching and only a limited amount of languages supported.

If this is no problem to you, go and upgrade to Win8.1U2. Otherwise, wait for Win10.

• Gadget geekGadget geek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be patient guys! It's confirmed to be coming. I do hope mouse cursors will be supported as well.

• ReidmereReidmere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My carrier recently gave $75 off a new phone. I got a Lumia with windows. I'm actually VERY sorry I bought a Windows phone now. Windows doesn't allow the package Emulators use on the marketplace. I bought a keyboard to use VBA, which runs smoother than VBA for that reason. However, now I find out can't use that keyboard.

While my use is specific, most agree it's ridiculous to limit Bluetooth. If Microsoft won't support us, we shouldn't support Microsoft.

• JonJon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For all Microsoft's talk of listening to the community it's long running issues like this one that leave me wondering if it's just that - talk. Windows Mobile always had this feature and after almost 5 years Windows Phone has lacked it. Time to rectify this lack of HID. It's TIME.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to use a bluetooth keyboard for better easiness of text/address input. UNfortunately not possible.
        Please add funktion!
        Many thank in advance!
        Rainer

• Jeffrey JochimJeffrey Jochim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ahhh I sold my toshiba encore and bought a 1520 because I thought I would be able to do word processing on it! please add HID bluetooth support!! I didn't even consider that it might not be available, why is Microsoft living in the dark ages?

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They cut keyboard and mouse support years ago. They cut the ability to edit Office 365 documents from OneDrive. What major feature are they cutting this time? I want a list. I made a huge mistake buying my 1520.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base