Please enter your feature suggestion...

Animated GIF files support

There are a lot of animated GIF files that show up on popular websites such as tumblr. They work perfectly when viewing in the web browser, but once downloaded (or viewed on skydrive), WP8's photo viewer will only show the first frame.

I never understood this: it works perfectly fine in the web browser, but once offline it's worthless. Same with Windows Photo Viewer on the desktop and the Photo app on Windows 8.

Animated GIFs are very popular and a big part of the photo-sharing experience nowadays, so solid support for being able to download GIFs like any other image, view them fully animated in the native photo viewer, and share them is vital for a full smartphone experience, especially since this is such a basic thing we've had for so long.

5,528 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    OliverOliver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    HeLLieHeLLie shared a merged idea: WP NEEDS GIF SUPPORT  ·   · 
    Jeremy McLeodJeremy McLeod shared a merged idea: Allow saving of animated gifs from internet explorer  ·   · 
    Logan BlackburnLogan Blackburn shared a merged idea: Global animated GIF support in WP7  ·   · 

123 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EdwardEdward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still can't see animated gifs on my lumia phone. Its still only first frame displayed even I upgrated to last wp 10 preview build.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So where is this update now? Will my Lumia 925 receive this Windows 10 or Microsoft is going to abandon the Windows 8 platform like they did with Windows 7?

• Ben EdwardsBen Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't complete until gifs work in the messaging app without having to launch the photos app. They should just animate right in my text message history. Frustrating to do I halfway and mark it complete.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lumia Moments on my 640 creates it's own sort of mini animation but I'm gutted I can't save them as a real animated gif, eveytime I go to save it just saves the last frame as a jpg. I'd love to see Lumia Moments offer the ability to export as animated.

• Warren C.Warren C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted. Even though I hate gifs because they suck (seriously, 3MB for a grainy low-res 5 second clip?) compared to webm, gifs are everywhere, and I just hate receiving gifs from my friends and seeing it static. Had the ability to see gifs (and webm) when I had an Android, and I loved it. Windows Phone needs this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i don know much abt techy tings... but my 10 year back SE K700i phone supported animated gif and my current nokia lumia 625 doesnt... i don know wat to say or expect from nokia (microsoft) next.

• JoewaJoewa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps Microsoft is difficult to make, has for many years have not been met as well

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Coming from android it's hard for not being able to view gif formatted images on windows phone.

• Chris downeyChris downey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can we PLEASE get this done already? It seriously boggles my mind that we are so behind on the gif front, people on other mobile platforms can communicate solely through gifs if they want, through their text messaging. I've seen an entire text thread of animated gifs on my fiances iphone, all playing at once, looping with absolutely no latency. she tries sending me one and.. nothing.. or just a picture of the first frame.

Get with the program. Please add gif support, and while we're at it, also add webm support.

it's maddening that in this day and age we can't send and recieve gifs in the text messaging app! Every other platform supports this!

Tweet gabeaul and joebelfiore we are 5,000 votes strong this has to be addressed other mobile systems offer this as a no brainer! This should be a no brainer for windows phone too, so tweet tweet I say and continue to vote!

• MoeHD7MoeHD7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another area where windows phone os behind...please add GIF support so that animation work in SMS or even if saved in your photo gallery

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base