Please enter your feature suggestion...

Restore Messaging app functionality and Facebook integration

In Windows Phone 8.1, the Messaging app loses its Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/Skype integration. Instead you are forced to use separate apps for each thing you want to do. I would like the integration restored. That is a major reason I bought Windows Phone - its integration so you don't need the 'whack-a-mole' solution of iOS. Why buy Windows Phone if you're going to try to slowly morph into iOS?

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-8s-me-tile-functionality-has-been-changed-in-windows-phone-8-1/

Please restore the Messaging integration!

8,915 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JJohnson1701JJohnson1701 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    zodyloganzodylogan shared a merged idea: Don't Remove Facebook Integration  ·   · 
    Lasse NistedLasse Nisted shared a merged idea: Facebook integration with people hub should not act as a 3rd party app  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Mobile GuruAdminMobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) responded  · 

We know that there is real passion around our social integration model, but there was a lot of frustration with its limitations as well. In Windows Phone 8.1, we moved to an app-powered model so that all of the latest features were available, even though it meant that some features, like messaging integration, were no longer supported. Check out Joe Belfiore’s response to this and more on Reddit AMA below. We will continue to innovate in this area, so please keep the suggestions coming

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/24jtcy/hi_im_joe_belfiore_from_the_windows_phone_team_ama/ch7vrir

360 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought a Windows Phone because I didn't need all the apps, and now I do...

As of today, I don't get any Facebook message notifications anymore, is that the next step ? To just get with it ?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a lousy explanation. Seems like forcing change with the blind idea that all change is good instead of a better motto of "if it works, don't fix it."
        I won't even bother downloading the app because I wouldn't use the additional features, just the messaging and it is not worth it for messaging to have more than one app. Next thing i'll have to do is buy an android phone for one app, a windows phone for another.... then someone at android will be smart enough to incorporate both and bye bye windows.

• PTPT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that WP moved to an app-powered model in order to update all of the latest features, but I would MUCH rather have a slightly crippled or "old" version that kept the hubs and integration, as its functionality and use FAR outweighed the tiny but immediate benefit of an app update.

Windows Phone used to be about a whole phone experience integrating many different features into one convenient interface; now, it is a choppy, disjointing experience making the user constantly jump-around from app to app.

Sure, there were a few things we were missing when messaging and facebook were integrated with the phone. However, I would gladly take the integration (even with its missing features) over the current iteration that makes you open a different app for every little task.

plz bring this feature back. facebook online chating. to share picture with me app. We don't wanna open app cz it takes so much time. so plzzzzzz...
        Bring it back. This feature was awesome

• WhateverWhatever commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(I read Joe Belfiore's post)
        I don't mind so much that the other apps need to be present, but I'd prefer to be able to have at least messages appear in the "messaging" app too, at least optionally, as with "Linked Inbox". As with the original poster, People Hub and Integrated Messaging were the things I liked best about my Windows Phone.
        Currently, when I get a Facebook message, I can see it in my notifications, and even see the first few words of the message: it doesn't make sense for me to have to run the app to see the next few words. I don't actually care about the message-transport, I just want a single place for "People are trying to message me, let me reply".
        It is worse when I get a notification, can see some of the message in the notification, but have moved out of mobile coverage, so running the app doesn't even work and I lose my notification.
        I find the lack of twitter integration equally annoying: if I can see a tweet in my people hub, surely I should be able to type my 140-odd characters from the people hub to reply.
        I'm utterly baffled at the lack of Skype/messaging integration, Skype is a Microsoft product.
        I kindof get how Facebook itself is more app-ish, you can do a lot with it, but simple messaging feels like it should be an easy thing to have a single point of access for.
        I sometimes like to imagine a world where Steam/ Steam Chat or Google Hangouts were available on my phone...

• ArtArt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Developers may say anything, but deep facebook integration was a key charming feature for me in WP before it was removed and separate apps took place.
        Instead implementing facebook messenger MS had to improve integrated features.
        In fact its not only me who thinks this way, coz my friend who had lumia 800, 720, 630, finally got iphone5 saying that after facebook integration disappeared he can't see real difference anymore between wp and other platforms.
        In total that's true. I have L1020, happy enough, but i miss FB chat integration. I really miss it.

• Rafael Gámez LagunaRafael Gámez Laguna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like, no..., let me correct it..., I really LOVE WP in all senses, but one of them was to find this special HUB with all main social networks, that has always been awesome and something which has built a difference to the other OS, now, whatever the reasons you have found (upgrading the app, removing limitations, etc., ) you lost the ESSENCE of WP because IOS and Android are the rich and cheap version of a SIMILAR OS, just Blackberry and WP marked the difference.
        You can give me a lot of reasons to find a “why”, but you lost what WP were, INTEGRATION and all organized in just one HUB. Why should I open a very slow app to see my friends’ comments when I could do it in the HUB on a quicker way? All organized, all together, a great job!!! And also the Facebook chat and of course the tile “ME”. That was the reason why I bought my first WP7.5 and I’ve changed to WP8 afterwards…, but WP 8.1…, was a way to “Androidize” the system…, where’s now the difference? Maybe the tiles?? No, tiles could be copied by a “theme” but the HUB couldn’t be copied…
        I could downgrade Cyan to Black and I hope that you don’t remove the Black version in case I have to restore my system. Now I’m happy with my WP 8.0 GDR 3 and I don’t really mind the notification bar or other improvements, the most important was that, the essence of WP, something I couldn’t find in other OS…, now you became “another one”…, but I will keep my Black version…

English is not my native language so I would like to apologize if I couldn’t make myself understand.

Thanks for your comments.

• Bob B.Bob B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lets hope that Microsoft takes our concerns into Windows Phone 10. But, imho. 8.1 lost more then it gained. I find it interesting that 8.1 releases and WP market share drops. With the uniqueness going away, it will be harder to keep the fan base happy with the limited app support. Why not implement both solutions, if a user wants more app functionality, then they just open the app.

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe microsoft is ignoring such a large movement to restore this! This was my single favorite part of windows phone. I will certainly not be buying another windows phone if this feature isn't restored. Well done ignoring and driving away your customers microsoft.

There was one thing which I like most is social networking apps integration but in 8.1 it was removed... We all are very unhappy because current facebook app is very poor.. It is unable to post any text or image status update.... So I request u to please integrate social networking apps like before otherwise Windows phone is useless

• PP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Removing the integration and the Hub must be the stupidest thing to do. I have gone from loving this phone to being really irritated at it.

The problem for you Microsoft is that, what you don't realize in your statistical data is that its the most loyal user base that miss these features the most. We're the ones that helped you marketing your products through word of mouth to a wider audience, and now you've screwed us.

Thanks a lot.

• UservoiceUservoice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Old style People Hub is the best of the best of the best features that the reason I use Windows Phone. So, don't make it to be likely other normal OS. The People Hub now seem to be useless. We need it back. Please satisfy your customer

• SNGSNG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The app-powered FB model is clunky and requires three steps to access a slow data feed. Since the 8.1 conversion I've had to stay signed out of FB because of the drain it puts on my battery for no real benefit (no live tile, updates that I don't need while missing the posts I want to see). I've been a loyal Windows phone customer for years but I'm so frustrated with this cop-off of Android that I might as well switch. The social media integration you had worked beautifully. The work invested in it kept users happy. :( If it doesn't revert back by 2015, I'm going to be in the market for a new OS.

• J MoranJ Moran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really frustrated by the loss of integration, I didn't find any limitations with it? I instead found limitations with the available apps and the integration made up for those faults, without it my windows phone suck and I have no reason to use windows products. In removing the integration you have lost a customer. Please think before you act because I don't think I was alone in my love of the integration and I want you to know that I don't care about latest features, I care about seamless communication without the need to switch between mediums.

Since there is a dependence on the application. I never touch social hub & me tile, it looks like the application is useless. you sacrifice a lot of your ideas on windows phone 8. now my windows phone 8.1 just like android with live tiles.

If you don't want your users go, facebook integration and return the hubs. android offers a facebook application even better. the facebook integration is the reason we use a windows phone. We do not want to be a trial of your application.

• RalfRalf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Messaging Hub was a killer Feature of Windows Phone. I loved my Windows Phone for it. Now it is just a phone.
        I'm not going to get another WP. When the time Comes I think I'll get an old style mobile without any features. Can't be disappointed with Features getting taken away with those.

• KatieKatie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't Window's employee Joe Belfiore address people's comments on here, rather than Reddit (a website stuck in the 1990s)
        Thanks for not listening to your users. We don't want an app-powered model. If we did we'd use IOS or Android. Having Facebook and Twitter ingegration was what made Windows 8.0 great. I could click on someone in the friend hub and automatically send a message to any of their accounts. Now I have to click and load each app individually which means more data use, more time consuming and the potential to miss messages.

I'm actually considering selling my brand new Lumia 630 (windows 8.1) and re-purchasing a 620 (windows 8.0) as the lack of integration is such a backwards step

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base